Bihar MP Surajbhan Singh convicted for murderJune 24th, 2008 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 24 (IANS) A Bihar court Tuesday convicted Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) MP Surajbhan Singh in a sixteen-year-old murder case. Amid tight security, the Begusarai fast track court held three people, including LJP MP Surajbhan Singh, guilty of Rami Singh’s murder, official sources in the court said.
Surajbhan Singh represents Bihar’s Ballia constituency in parliament and is considered close to Union Minister of Steel and LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan.
Hundreds of people, mostly supporters of Surajbhan Singh, gathered outside the court since early afternoon to hear the court’s verdict.
Rami Singh, a resident of Mathurapur village in Begusarai district, about 126 km from here, was shot Jan 16, 1992 allegedly by Surajbhan Singh and his henchmen, according to the police complaint in the case.
Soon after the court found him guilty in the murder case, the police took him into custody. He will be lodged in the Begusarai jail.
The court will announce the quantum of punishment Thursday.
Surajbhan Singh faces several criminal charges, including those of murder, extortion, kidnapping and looting.
Last year he was named accused in the murder of additional public prosecutor Ramnaresh Sharma, 55.
Sharma, a human rights activist, was shot by two unidentified people at his residence in Begusarai.
- Bihar MP sentenced to life for murder - Jun 25, 2008
- Lawmaker's petition dismissed in Patna - Nov 28, 2008
- Murder witness shot dead in Bihar - May 11, 2009
- Godman helps convicted MP to get 'rid of evils' - Mar 02, 2009
- LJP MP booked for murder in Bihar - May 12, 2009
- Paswan demands CBI probe into uterus scam - Aug 26, 2012
- Bihar MP gets bail in murder case, can vote now - Jul 16, 2008
- Bihar has dozens of candidates facing serious criminal charges - Apr 16, 2009
- LJP MP Surajbhan, two others get life imprisonment for farmers murder - Jun 25, 2008
- I won't join UPA: Paswan - Jul 07, 2010
- Lok Janshakti Party MP Surajbhan questioned in murder case - Apr 08, 2009
- LJP leaders blame poll debacle on alliance with RJD - Jun 08, 2009
- Ram Vilas Paswan files poll papers in Bihar - Apr 02, 2009
- Voting for Purnia by-poll under way in Bihar - Jun 25, 2011
- Bihar polls: Nitish, Modi, Lalu seeking votes for criminals - Oct 16, 2010
Tags: ballia, bihar, constituency, criminal charges, early afternoon, extortion, fast track, henchmen, human rights activist, june 24, ljp, lok, murder case, police complaint, public prosecutor, quantum, ram vilas paswan, tight security, union minister, vilas