Bihar legislator acquitted in abduction caseJuly 28th, 2010 - 5:12 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 28 (IANS) Sunil Pandey, a ruling Janata Dal-United legislator sentenced to life imprisonment for kidnapping a doctor in Bihar, was acquitted by the Patna High Court Wednesday, a court official said.
Pandey and four others were acquitted due to lack of evidence, the official said.
In 2008, a trial court sentenced Pandey, who represents the Piro constituency in Bhojpur district, and four others to life imprisonment in connection with doctor Ramesh Chandra’s kidnapping.
Chandra, a neurosurgeon, was kidnapped from Patna May 18, 2003 allegedly by a gang patronised by Pandey. His kidnapping led to widespread protests by doctors and opposition parties.
The doctor was later rescued by Bihar Police from Chiraura village under Naubatpur police station near Patna.
The abductors reportedly demanded Rs.1 crore ransom. Police claimed the doctor was rescued without payment of any ransom.
Pandey, a criminal-turned-politician, has several criminal cases pending against him. He is currently in jail.
- Jailed Bihar politician to be awarded Ph.D - Jul 07, 2012
- Two JD-U legislators booked for extortion - Dec 23, 2010
- Jailed Bihar legislator gets doctorate for non-violence thesis - Mar 05, 2009
- Jailed criminal from Nitish's camp wins - Nov 24, 2010
- Jailed Bihar legislator wants D Litt, plans book on Mahavir - Dec 16, 2008
- Close aide of legislator arrested in Ranvir Sena chief's killing - Jun 06, 2012
- Nearly 60,000, including MPs and MLAs, convicted in Bihar in 5 years - Apr 11, 2011
- Over 50,000 criminals convicted in Nitish-era Bihar - Sep 23, 2010
- Bihar takes on crime with high conviction rate - Jun 08, 2010
- Bihar court acquits 23 in caste massacre case - Apr 16, 2012
- No mercy for kidnappers of children, says Supreme Court - Dec 05, 2011
- Protests in Bihar against acquittal of massacre accused - Apr 17, 2012
- Bihar polls: Nitish, Modi, Lalu seeking votes for criminals - Oct 16, 2010
- Apex court upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan - Jul 10, 2012
- SC upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: 1 crore, abduction case, abductors, chandra, constituency, doctors, legislator, life imprisonment, neurosurgeon, opposition parties, patna high court, police station, politician, protests, ransom police, sunil, trial court