Bihar fasts to support AnnaAugust 18th, 2011 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 18 (IANS) Many people continued their fast in various parts of Bihar for the the third day Thursday in support of activist Anna Hazare’s demand for a stronger Lokpal bill.
In state capital Patna, 18 people are observing fast at Kargil Chowk near the historic Gandhi Maidan.
Some more are on a hunger strike in different towns of the state.
Kanchan Bala, a woman activist, said that she will continue her fast, which she began on Tuesday, till Hazare’s demands are fulfilled.
“There is no question of ending the fast here, people in Patna are with Anna Hazare and we will fast like him,” said Arun Das, who too has been fasting.
Iqbal Imam, a member of India Against Corruption which backs Hazare, said: “Many people are keen to fast in support of Anna Hazare.”
Hundreds of people again took to streets across the state with national flags, multi-coloured posters, banners and placards in their hands. Some angry protesters burnt effigies of Congress members, which leads the United Progressive Alliance government at the centre.
Activists of social organisations, political parties’ workers and common people shouted slogans against the central government and denounced the police action against Hazare and his supporters.
Hazare was arrested by Delhi Police Tuesday ahead of his fast and then released. But he continued to be inside the Tihar Jail and is likely to move out Thursday to undertake his protest fast at Ramlila ground in New Delhi.
- Pro-Anna demonstrations continue in Bihar - Aug 17, 2011
- Maintain decorum of movement, Kejriwal tells supporters - Aug 23, 2011
- Anna to move to Ramlila ground Friday - Aug 18, 2011
- Anna supporters take out candle light vigils - Aug 16, 2011
- Chronology of an epochal fast - Aug 28, 2011
- Government blinks, Anna on fast track (Intro Roundup) - Aug 18, 2011
- Visually challenged, traders rally in support of Hazare - Aug 20, 2011
- Noida farmers march to support Anna - Aug 19, 2011
- Anna to continue his fast at Ramlila ground Friday (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Ramlila ground gets set for Anna Hazare - Aug 18, 2011
- Anna phenomenon grows in Nepal too - Aug 25, 2011
- Andhra continues protests to support Hazare - Aug 17, 2011
- Chennai continues to rally in support of Anna (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Lesser-known Annas also fast across the country - Aug 25, 2011
- Telugu film industry extends support to Hazare - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: alliance government, angry protesters, anna hazare, arun, bala, central government, chowk, common people, congress members, delhi police, fasts, hunger strike, iqbal, national flags, patna, placards, police action, progressive alliance, third day, tihar jail