Bihar assembly passes Lokayukta billDecember 7th, 2011 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Dec 7 (IANS) The Bihar assembly Wednesday passed a bill for setting up a three-member Lokayukta with jurisdiction to probe corruption charges against public servants from the chief minister down to lowest rung of state employees.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar described the bill as strong and effective to check corruption in the state but opposition termed it weak.
“The Bihar Lokayukta Bill is unique, strong and effective. The central government should incorporate its provisions in the Lokpal bill if the central legislation also intends to cover the Lokayuktas under the proposed central legislation,” Nitish Kumar said.
Assembly Speaker Uday Narain Choudhary put the bill for voting, amid demand by opposition members for more debate on the legislation. The bill was passed by voice vote.
Nitish Kumar reiterated that the Bihar government led by him had already initiated several measures to fight corruption. “The Right to Service Act was enforced last month to check corruption and to provide relief to people in the state,” he said.
He claimed that Bihar has emerged as a model state in the country after his government’s bid for transparency was being emulated by other states and the country, and cited the example of mandatory annual declaration of assets by ministers and government employees.
- Bihar Lokayukta Bill in assembly's winter session - Sep 05, 2011
- BJP against passage of Lokpal bill, says Sibal (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Disappointed with Bihar Lokayukta bill: Shanti Bhushan - Nov 11, 2011
- Bihar assembly committee to probe 'health scam' - Aug 09, 2012
- Kejriwal hopes UPA will honour Sonia's commitment on Lokpal - Nov 09, 2011
- BJP against passage of Lokpal bill: Sibal - Dec 27, 2011
- Himachal assembly passes Lokayukta bill (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- 67 legislators suspended in Bihar (Second Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- 67 legislators suspended after Bihar assembly bedlam (Night Lead) - Jul 22, 2010
- 16 legislators suspended from Bihar assembly (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- 67 legislators suspended after Bihar bedlam (Third lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- 17 opposition legislators suspended in Bihar - Jul 21, 2010
- Congress flays Bihar speaker - Jul 21, 2010
- Decks cleared for Right to Service bill in Bihar - Mar 09, 2011
- Nitish to use Lokpal bill for Lokayukta in Bihar (Second Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: assembly speaker, assets, bihar government, central government, chief minister, corruption charges, government employees, jurisdiction, legislation, model state, narain, nitish kumar, opposition members, provisions, public servants, service act, state employees, transparency, uday, voice vote