Big boost for Agra’s shoe industry, if state government helpsNovember 9th, 2008 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
!– Imagr –Agra, Nov 9 (IANS) Minister of state for Commerce Jairam Ramesh has announced a Rs.1.6-billion (Rs.160-crore) package to boost the local shoe industry, but for this the state government, led by a chief minister opposed to his Congress party, has to cooperate.Ramesh made the announcement Saturday when inaugurating an international fair on leather, footwear components and technology at the Kalakriti Grounds near the Taj Mahal.
The package comprises a Rs.600-million leather park, a Rs.200-million footwear design development centre, a Rs.100-million design studio, a testing laboratory and a permanent exhibition ground to be developed on investment of Rs.500-600 million, on the lines of the Pragati Maidan exhibition in New Delhi.
Local shoe manufacturers have been asked to look for land and secure an early release of suitable sites. But there’s a problem: the land for the projects has to be released by the state’s ruling party, which is the Congress’s opposition party.
Agra’s century-old shoe industry directly and indirectly supports at least 100,000 families, mostly from the dalit community that owes allegience to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati (BSP). Mayawati heads the BSP opposed to Ramesh’s Congress Party that heads the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government at the centre.
Against this backdrop, how far the latest measures announced by Ramesh go in weaning away the dalit vote bank remains to be seen. According to shoe industry sources, Mayawati won’t be in a hurry to release land for any of the projects announced.
But the industry believes once the schemes get going, exports could reach Rs.30 billion (Rs.3000 crore) from the present level of around Rs.8 billion (Rs.800 crore).
More than 200 national and international components and raw materials manufacturers have put up their stalls at the exhibition.
- International shoe fair in Agra - Oct 29, 2010
- Mayawati our leader and will always be so, say Dalits - Feb 09, 2012
- Dalit land remains loyal to Mayawati - Mar 06, 2012
- BSP has cheated Dalits: BJP - Feb 19, 2012
- International footwear fair in Agra a major draw - Oct 31, 2010
- Taj city hosts biggest Dalit power show - Apr 14, 2011
- Mayawati readies for first appearance after poll debacle - Apr 14, 2012
- Agra gears up for Ambedkar Jayanti celebrations - Apr 14, 2011
- Pilfered CWG funds could have helped Delhi's Dalits: Mayawati - Jun 17, 2011
- I hold master key to power, thunders Mayawati (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Mayawati slams Dikshit for diverting Dalit funds to CWG - Aug 03, 2010
- Congress slams Mayawati for 'wasting public money' - Oct 14, 2011
- Mayawati inaugurates 'dream project', says Congress ignored Dalit icons (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2011
- India's first shoe market opens in Agra - Sep 08, 2010
- BSP calls Congress anti-Dalit - Oct 16, 2011