Better leader-workers connect, more discipline needed: Antony panelMay 8th, 2012 - 12:22 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 7 (IANS) A panel headed by Defence Minister A.K. Antony to look into the Congress’ poor performance in recent assembly polls has recommended better connect of the state leadership with the workers and discouraging the practice of relatives getting tickets, among other measures, party sources said.
It has also urged more discipline in the party organisation as steps to improve the party’s prospects in forthcoming electoral battles, the sources said.
The sources said that the panel which went into reasons for party’s poor performance in Uttar Pradesh, its loss in Punjab and Goa and unimpressive performance in Uttarakhand, suggested that chief ministers, state unit chiefs and leaders in assembly should be more accessible to party workers.
The report, prepared by an three-member panel which also included Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, has been finalised, a party leader said.
Party sources that organisational weaknesses, controversial and confusing remarks by some senior leaders and wrong distribution of tickets had been identified as reasons for the party’s poor performance in Uttar Pradesh.
Party general secretary Rahul Gandhi had toiled hard for the party’s success in Uttar Pradesh but the Congress could not do well even in Gandhi family pocket boroughs of Amethi and Rae Bareli.
The Congress will face Bharatiya Janata Party as the main adversary in assembly polls later this year in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh.
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi offers to resign over UP results (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Rahul to review UP poll results Friday - Apr 03, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi to visit Amethi April 30-May 2 - Apr 26, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi indicates major shakeup in Uttar Pradesh Congress - May 02, 2012
- Antony panel to look into poll debacle in Punjab, Goa - Apr 07, 2012
- Gandhi charisma fading? Congress humbled in Rae Bareli, Amethi - Mar 06, 2012
- Rahul to visit Maharashtra, Amethi (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Congress cannot take our support for granted: Shahid Siddiqui - Mar 13, 2012
- Priyanka returns to campaign in Amethi - Jan 16, 2012
- Rahul in Amethi to 're-motivate' Congress workers - Apr 30, 2012
- Not one to get defeated, says Rahul; may dissolve UP unit (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Should I join politics, Priyanka asks rival parties - Feb 05, 2012
- Congress trailing in Rae Bareli - Mar 06, 2012
- Rahul not working for his reputation in UP: Priyanka - Feb 05, 2012
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi meets Sonia, offers to quit - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: amethi, assembly polls, chief minister, chief ministers, defence minister, himachal pradesh, janata party, member panel, party organisation, pocket boroughs, poor performance, power minister, rae bareli, rahul gandhi, sheila dikshit, state leadership, sushil kumar, sushil kumar shinde, unit chiefs, uttarakhand