Berlusconi calls for sobrietyNovember 24th, 2010 - 11:45 am ICT by IANS
Rome, Nov 24 (IANS/AKI) Italy’s embattled Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi Tuesday called for “sobriety” and urged politicians to show “a sense of responsibility”. The flamboyant premier has recently been embroiled in a new series of sex scandals and has seen his popularity slump.
Berlusconi’s government faces a confidence vote in December following the defection a key former ally.
“As far as internal questions go regarding the People of Freedom (party), I plan to tackle these very soon, and with my habitual ability to take into account various people’s opinions,” Berlusconi said.
“Meanwhile, I invite everyone to show a sense of responsibility and sobriety, out of respect for our activists and voters,” said the 74–year-old premier.
Berlusconi’s government faces a confidence vote in the lower and upper houses of the Italian parliament next month.
The Berlusconi government has been edging ever-closer to collapse since his key former ally, Italian lower house of parliament speaker Gianfranco Fini broke away from the 74-year-old prime minister in July and deprived him of a safe majority.
Several fresh sex scandals have hit Berlusconi this autumn involving a prostitute and a teenage nightclub dancer who says she attended after-dinner sex games at his villa in Arcore, near Milan. The septuagenarian was earlier linked to a teenage underwear model and another prostitute.
He has decried what he calls “indecent attacks” against him.
The government has come under mounting pressure over Italy’s ailing economy and controversial legislation critics say is aimed at saving Berlusconi from prosecution for corruption and tax fraud.
- Berlusconi says he will call it quits as PM in 2013 - Dec 24, 2010
- Ancient statue in Italian premier's office repaired - Nov 19, 2010
- Berlusconi wants removal of Italy's parliament speaker - Sep 08, 2010
- Berlusconi foes to pull out of government - Nov 13, 2010
- Berlusconi an embarrassment to Italy, says former deputy - Nov 02, 2010
- Berlusconi lawyers say new 'bunga bunga' claims are false - Apr 14, 2011
- Prosecutors may widen Berlusconi sex probe - Feb 08, 2011
- Italy 'in turmoil' over new sex disclosures - Jan 20, 2011
- Berlusconi to write memoir on his private life - Aug 24, 2011
- Berlusconi skips tax fraud hearing - Sep 27, 2011
- Berlusconi says he isn't worried about upcoming sex trial - Feb 17, 2011
- Berlusconi trial: Ruby 'can't wait' to tell her story - May 21, 2011
- Silvio Berlusconi blames mafia for latest sex scandal - Nov 05, 2010
- Prosecutors to request Berlusconi trial over 'Rubygate' - Feb 09, 2011
- Berlusconi dismisses new escort claims as trash (Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
Tags: arcore, confidence vote, controversial legislation, defection, freedom party, gianfranco fini, house of parliament, italian parliament, parliament speaker, prime minister silvio, prime minister silvio berlusconi, sense of responsibility, septuagenarian, sex scandals, silvio berlusconi, sobriety, tax fraud, teenage underwear, underwear model, upper houses