Berlusconi, 75, gets fit for election campaignJuly 14th, 2012 - 10:55 am ICT by IANS
Rome, July 14 (IANS) Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, who was forced to quit over rising debt and a sex scandal, has taken to jogging and studying issues in preparation for a fresh run for the premiership, AKI news agency reported.
The 75-year-old three-time prime minister was spotted recently jogging in a park in Rome, probably in a bid to get fit for an election campaign that will culminate in national elections in 2013.
Italian news reports said the billionaire media tycoon will run unopposed for the candidacy of his People of Freedom Party.
The party will also change its name, and its symbol will be a kite in the colours of the Italian flag — green, white and red.
Berlusconi cut short his third election mandate in November when he resigned amid an out-of-control debt crisis which raised the possibility of Italy defaulting on its 1.9 trillion-euro debt load.
Experts says such a move would have threatened the future of the 17-member euro currency.
Berlusconi’s critics say he did very little to reform Italy’s finances and focused instead on policies that would help him stay out of legal trouble. But he has a wide support from a political base that sees him as a business-friendly alternative to leftists.
- Gay Italian politician to run for PM in 2013 - Aug 02, 2012
- Berlusconi wants to be economy minister in 2013 - Jun 28, 2012
- Berlusconi highest-earning politician in Italy - Mar 20, 2012
- 24,000 Italian government employees to lose jobs - Jul 11, 2012
- Consumer confidence dips to three year low in Italy - Oct 26, 2011
- Italy's industrial output suffers steep October decline - Dec 09, 2011
- Ferrari chief says Berlusconi must resign - Nov 01, 2011
- Berlusconi's income rises - Mar 20, 2012
- Monti to govern till 2013: Berlusconi - Nov 21, 2011
- Ruby the heart stealer gives birth to girl - Dec 21, 2011
- Consumer sentiment rises in Italy - Nov 25, 2011
- Italy's new Cabinet wins confidence vote - Nov 19, 2011
- 1,000 yachts raided in Italy to nab tax cheats - Apr 04, 2012
- Berlusconi to release his song album Tuesday - Nov 20, 2011
- Cost-cutting measures fall short: Italy's central bank chief - Oct 13, 2011
Tags: billionaire, candidacy, control debt, debt crisis, debt load, election campaign, election mandate, euro debt, former italian prime minister silvio berlusconi, freedom party, italian flag, italian news, italian prime minister, leftists, legal trouble, national elections, prime minister silvio, prime minister silvio berlusconi, sex scandal, silvio berlusconi