Bengal to compensate victims of crimes against womenSeptember 7th, 2012 - 1:10 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 6 (IANS) Victims of crimes against women would henceforth be compensated in West Bengal, with the Mamata Banerjee cabinet Thursday ratifying the proposed scheme that would also benefit rape and trafficking victims.
“The cabinet has given the nod to the compensation scheme, 2012. The women victims of criminal and non-criminal cases would be compensated under the scheme,” Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee told media persons.
In case of loss of life, the nearest kin would get Rs.2 lakh. An amount of Rs.50,000 would be given for loss of limb or part of body leading to a handicap of 80 percent or more.
In case the victim loses limb or part of a body resulting in a handicap between 40 percent to 80 percent, the compensation amount would be Rs. 50,000.
Rs.10,000 would be given for loss of limb or body part resulting in a handicap below 40 percent, he said.
Minor rape victims would get compensation of Rs.30,000 and adults Rs.20,000.
Women and minor victims of trafficking would be given Rs.10,000.
“At the district level there will be a committee headed by the district magistrate who would decide on the eligibility for compensation,” said Mukherjee.
- Congress criticises Mamata's move to compensate rape victims - Sep 10, 2012
- Delhi rape victims to get Rs.3 lakh as compensation - May 14, 2012
- Meghalaya to compensate rape victims - Feb 29, 2012
- Scheme for rape victims' rehabilitation in final stage - Dec 15, 2010
- Mayawati slams centre's compensation to injured farmers - May 23, 2011
- Court asks government for relief to blast victims (Lead) - Sep 14, 2011
- Delhi cabinet approves hike in ex-gratia amount - Mar 09, 2011
- Government to compensate rape victims - Jul 06, 2011
- Florist gets 10-year jail for raping octogenarian - Jan 31, 2012
- Budget hike for social sector garners mixed response - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: adults, compensation scheme, crimes against women, district magistrate, handicap, mamata banerjee, media persons, nod, rape victims, rs 2, rs 50, subrata mukherjee, trafficking victims, victims of crimes, victims of trafficking, west bengal