Bengal polls: Mamata reaches out to Congress (Lead)February 20th, 2011 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 20 (IANS) Railway Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee Sunday appealed to the Congress to forge a “grand alliance” with her party to dislodge the ruling Left Front in the upcoming assembly elections in West Bengal.”We want a grand alliance of common people. Here we have SUCI (Socialist Unity Centre of India) leaders with us at this programme. We want them to forge an alliance with us for the assembly polls as they had done in the last 2009 Lok Sabha polls,” Banerjee said while addressing a public rally here.
The Trinamool and the Congress, along with the SUCI, had joined hands before the 2009 Lok Sabha polls and decimated the Left Front that has been ruling the state since 1977. The alliance had bagged 26 of the state’s 42 Lok Sabha seats.
“We are in favour of alliance. We want a grand alliance of people. I am inviting the Congress to forge an alliance with us. I am appealing to the Congress to form the alliance. We want an alliance of Trinamool, Congress and SUCI in the coming polls,” said Banerjee.
Last year, the Trinamool-Congress alliance broke down after the parties failed to reach an agreement regarding seat sharing in the civic elections.
The state Congress leadership had then accused the Trinamool of denying them the respect due to an alliance partner.
- Bengal polls: Mamata urges Congress for alliance - Feb 20, 2011
- We want a grand alliance: Trinamool leader Partha Chatterjee - Mar 04, 2011
- Mamata names 228 candidates, leaves 64 seats for Congress - Mar 18, 2011
- Trinamool, Congress seal seat-sharing deal for Bengal polls (Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Dignity, trust vital for alliance with Trinamool: Congress leader - Mar 11, 2011
- Trinamool names 228 candidates, leaves 64 seats for Congress (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2011
- Congress seals pact with Trinamool for West Bengal assembly polls (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Trinamool names 228 candidates, leaves 64 seats for Congress (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Congress, Trinamool seal pact for West Bengal assembly polls (Second Lead) - Mar 21, 2011
- No tension with Trinamool: Pranab - Dec 26, 2010
- I have offered chief minister's post to Pranab: Mamata - Nov 04, 2010
- Bengal's 'red fort' faces challenge as voting begins Monday - Apr 17, 2011
- WB polls: Displeased Congress to take a final call after Holi - Mar 19, 2011
- No pressure on us before talks with Trinamool: Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- CPI-M wants cadres to apologise to people: Biman Bose (Interview, Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: alliance partner, assembly elections, assembly polls, common people, congress alliance, congress leadership, favour, grand alliance, India, lok sabha polls, lok sabha seats, mamata banerjee, public rally, railway minister, socialist unity, state congress, trinamool congress chief, unity centre, west bengal