Bengal polls: Campaigning for fifth phase endsMay 5th, 2011 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 5 (IANS) Campaigning for the fifth round of the six-phase West Bengal assembly elections ended Thursday as the state geared up for voting in 38 constituencies spread over four districts Saturday.
Campaigning in parts of West Midnapore, Purulia, Bankura and Burdwan districts, which are going to polls in this round, came to an end at 5 p.m. Thursday, 38 hours before balloting begins as stipulated by the polling laws.
Among the heavyweights in fray are state Health Minister Surjya Kanta Mishra and state Congress president Manas Bhuniya.
Leading political personalities like West Bengal Chief Minister and Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, Left Front chairman and CPI-M state secretary Biman Bose, former Indian cricket captain Mohammad Azharuddin and Railway Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee canvassed for their party candidates.
The fate of 193 candidates will be decided Saturday by a total electorate of 7,417,723.
The CPI-M is contesting in 32 constituencies, the Communist Party of India (CPI) one, Forward Bloc three, the Trinamool Congress 33, the Congress five and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in 38 constituencies.
Polls for the 294-member assembly, which started April 18, will end May 10. The counting of votes will take place May 13.
- West Bengal polls enter fifth phase Saturday - May 06, 2011
- Polling ends in Bengal, 83 percent votes cast - May 07, 2011
- Brisk voting in fifth round of Bengal polls (Fourth Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Brisk polling in fifth round of Bengal elections (Third Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Peaceful voting in Bengal's Maoist-hit districts (Second Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Voting under way for fifth round of Bengal polls (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- 83 percent votes cast in round five of Bengal polls (Intro Roundup) - May 08, 2011
- 83 percent votes cast in Bengal fifth phase (Roundup) - May 07, 2011
- Campaign ends for third phase of Bengal polls - Apr 25, 2011
- CPI-M says it is not a one-man party - Apr 13, 2011
- CPI-M using police to manipulate voters: Mamata - May 05, 2011
- Any which way, Bengal braces for historic verdict - May 12, 2011
- Poll campaigning peaks in north Bengal districts - Apr 13, 2011
- Congress discussing joining Mamata government: Bhuniya - May 15, 2011
- Campaigning ends for West Bengal polls - May 08, 2011
Tags: bankura, bharatiya janata party, burdwan, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress president, cricket captain, fifth phase, forward bloc, indian cricket, member assembly, midnapore, mohammad azharuddin, phase ends, political personalities, purulia, railway minister, state congress, trinamool congress chief, west bengal assembly elections