Bengal heading towards food scarcity: BuddhadebFebruary 19th, 2012 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 19 (IANS) Holding the Mamata Banerjee government responsible for suicides by farmers in West Bengal, former chief minister and Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee said Sunday the state was steadily heading towards food scarcity.
“The government’s apathy towards agriculture has lead to farmers committing suicide. They are now apprehensive of cultivating because they don’t know if they will even get the minimum price,” said Bhattacharya addressing a party rally here.
He said the inability of the state government to procure agriculture produce from the farmers was deterring them from farming which is pushing the state towards food scarcity.
“The rice productivity in the state has gone down. Even the potato farmers are wary of cultivating any more crop. This is gradually reducing our agricultural productivity and soon the state will face food scarcity,” claimed Bhattacharjee.
He also took a dig at Banerjee for playing down farmer suicides in the state.
“She says there has been only one suicide. The others killed themselves for other reasons. She also says they took crores of money as loan. I want to ask which bank in the world gives crores as a loan to a farmer,” he said.
The veteran Marxist also attacked the government for the rising crime chart in the state.
“Law and order has been steadily deteriorating. There is killing, looting, dacoity and now rape. There is so much crime because the perpetrators feel it is their own government.”
- Buddhadeb slams centre, West Bengal government - Aug 26, 2012
- Farmer suicides spark Bengal political storm (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
- Bengal Congress raps Mamata government over farmer suicides - Jan 22, 2012
- Buddha slams Mamata government for farmer suicides - Jan 22, 2012
- Three farmers' suicides not linked to debt: Bengal - Jan 17, 2012
- Probe farmers' suicides, Congress tells Mamata - Dec 26, 2011
- CPI-M blames Congress, Trinamool for Bengal farmer suicides - Jan 06, 2012
- Mamata, governor differ on farm suicides (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Unscrupulous Left workers joining Trinamool: Congress - Nov 27, 2011
- Mamata dismisses farmer suicide reports as 'malicious campaign' - Jan 31, 2012
- Governor, chief minister spar - nothing new for Bengal (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 29, 2012
- CPI-M counters Mamata claim on farmer suicides - Jan 19, 2012
- Farmers' suicide could trigger food crisis: Biman Bose - Jan 22, 2012
- Uttarakhand to better farm livelihoods with UN loan - Feb 02, 2012
- Buddhadeb hits out at Trinamool over Infosys imbroglio - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: agricultural productivity, apathy, bhattacharjee, chief minister, committing suicide, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, dacoity, farming, food scarcity, kolkata, law and order, mamata banerjee, party rally, perpetrators, potato farmers, state government, suicides, west bengal