Belly dance was part of cultural show: Mulayam’s supportersDecember 29th, 2010 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 29 (IANS) Even as Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav was criticised for watching an apparently “obscene” Ukranian belly dance during a function sponsored by his family in Uttar Pradesh’ Etawah district, his supporters claimed music and dance were part of the annual celebrations.The cultural function was held Sunday evening at his native village Saifai, about 250 km from here.
While Mulayam and his close family members preferred to maintain a studied silence on the issue, a close party confidante Subhash Tripathi told IANS over telephone from Etawah: “Apparently, the media has made too much out of the dance and music programme during the Saifai mahotsava.”
“There was nothing obscene about the performance by a Ukranian troupe; it was a traditional dance of a particular country,” he said.
“Such dances were not new at the Saifai mahostava. The only difference was that in the past such performances were done by artists from Mumbai and this time the organisers invited a foreign troupe as well.”
Mulayam Singh’s nephew and local MP Dharmendra Yadav, who was the key organiser of the event, declined to speak on the issue. He however disclosed that a colourful Bollywood night was underway Wednesday evening.
“Leading Bollywood performers Sonu Nigam, Urmila Matondkar, Amisha Patel, Minissha Lamba and Rakhi Sawant are putting up a show tonight (Wednesday),” he said.
- Mulayam leads Holi celebrations in UP - Mar 08, 2012
- Harinath Reddy, group win 'Chak Dhoom Dhoom..." reality show - Mar 21, 2011
- Shifting gears: Urmila Matondkar from Masoom to Karzz - Feb 13, 2010
- `Delhi Belly' still quarantined in Nepal - Jul 05, 2011
- In Venice, with Shakira - big fat Indian wedding gets bigger - May 16, 2011
- Mulayam pulls up government over Etawah firing - Apr 02, 2012
- 'Bad boys' thrill Delhi - Mar 04, 2012
- Airport detentions on the rise for Bollywood stars - Jun 29, 2011
- What's Bipasha's new obsession? (Movie Snippets) - May 31, 2011
- Mulayam-Amar rapproachement on the cards (Lead) - Jan 11, 2010
- Kanishtha Dhankhar crowned Pantaloons Femina Miss India World 2011 - Apr 15, 2011
- Mallika Sherawat Is out And Urmila Matondkar Enters 'Chak Dhoom Dhoom' As Judge - Jan 20, 2011
- Mulayam accepts Amar Singh's resignation (Lead) - Jan 17, 2010
- Dance fever catches on among Indians, thanks to TV - Feb 01, 2011
- Singer Raghav debuts in Bollywood (With Images) - Aug 10, 2011
Tags: amisha patel, belly dance, bollywood, confidante, dance and music, dances, dharmendra, minissha lamba, mumbai, music and dance, nephew, organisers, party chief, rakhi sawant, sonu nigam, sunday evening, traditional dance, urmila matondkar, wednesday evening, yadav