Belarus refuses to extradite brother of Kyrgyz ex-presidentSeptember 6th, 2012 - 10:28 am ICT by IANS
Minsk, Sep 6 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Belarus has refused to extradite a brother of Kyrgyzstan’s ex-president who is wanted in the country on murder charges, a Belarusian official said.
Kyrgyzstan has repeatedly asked Belarus to honour its international legal commitments and extradite Zhanysh Bakiyev, brother of ousted president Kurmanbek Bakiyev.
Bakiyev is on the Interpol wanted list on charges of triple murder of former presidential administration chief Medet Sadyrkulov, chief of the International Institute of Strategic Studies Sergei Slepchenko, and driver Kubat Sulaimanov.
Belarus denied extradition in June on the basis of a legal assistance convention of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), which bars extradition “when there are solid grounds to believe that the extradition request is related to the persecution of an individual on the basis of his race, gender, religion, ethnicity or political views”.
A spokesman for the Belarusian Prosecutor General’s office said: “Taking into account the events in Kyrgyzstan and the nature of charges laid against Bakiyev, the Belarusian side believes that the extradition request was filed due to persecution for political beliefs and was thus rejected.”
Kyrgyzstan recalled its ambassador to Belarus after images of Bakiyev and his two assistants taken near a restaurant in Minsk appeared on the internet.
Former Kyrgyz president Kurmanbek Bakiyev and many of his relatives and supporters went into exile after an uprising in April 2010 that ousted the president.
Opposition forces, brought to power by the revolt, put the two brothers on the international wanted list and the Interpol has issued a red notice for them.
- Belarusian embassy in Kyrgyzstan attacked - Aug 29, 2012
- Kyrgyz PM Atambayev set to win presidential poll - Oct 31, 2011
- Ousted Kyrgyz President Bakiyev charged with organizing mass murder - Apr 28, 2010
- Ecuador refuses to extradite Belarus cop - Aug 30, 2012
- Russia owes rent on military bases: Kyrgyz president - Dec 29, 2011
- Belarus embassy wraps up in Sweden - Aug 11, 2012
- Russian embassy bomber jailed in Belarus - May 27, 2011
- Five killed in fresh Kyrgyz unrest, president in Belarus - Apr 20, 2010
- Belarus executes bomber - Mar 17, 2012
- Russian human rights activist detained in Minsk - Apr 29, 2011
- Belarus to build vertical takeoff drones - Apr 05, 2012
- Belarusian police cordon off Minsk central square to quell protest - Jun 16, 2011
- Belarus executes Minsk subway bombers - Mar 18, 2012
- Bakiev says he did not resign as president of Kyrgyzstan - Apr 21, 2010
- Obama urges more pressure on Belarus' Lukashenko - May 29, 2011
Tags: belarusian, commonwealth of independent states, extradition request, institute of strategic studies, international institute of strategic studies, interpol, kubat, kyrgyz president, legal assistance, murder charges, persecution, political beliefs, political views, presidential administration, prosecutor general, race gender, revolt, ria novosti, triple murder, two brothers