Barman is new Congress chief in Left-ruled TripuraApril 21st, 2012 - 2:23 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, April 21 (IANS) Three-time legislator Sudip Roy Barman has been named the chief of the Congress’s Tripura state unit, sources said here Saturday. The new leader immediately vowed to oust the ruling Left Front from power.
“This is an enormous task that was bestowed on me. The responsibility to lead the party in the Left ruled state became all the more important because the state would go to the crucial assembly polls next year,” Barman, an engineer-turned-politician, said.
Barman, 46, replaces former minister Surajit Datta as the president of the Tripura Pradesh Congress. Datta is a member of the Tripura legislative assembly. The announcement was made by the All India Congress Committee (AICC) in New Delhi.
“An AICC communique was issued in New Delhi Friday night by party general secretary Janardhan Trivedi appointing Barman as the president of the Tripura party,” a Congress spokesman told reporters.
Barman was elected to the state assembly thrice and also headed the party’s youth wing for several years.
Barman said: “My top priority would be to unite all the leaders and party factions and go all out to oust the Communist Party of India-Marxist-led Left Front from the helm of affairs.”
- Trinamool launches campaign to oust Left from Tripura - Aug 20, 2011
- New Tripura Congress chief appointed - Feb 05, 2010
- President's son's visit exposes cracks in Tripura Congress - Sep 10, 2012
- Security, corruption issues in coming northeast polls: Congress - Apr 30, 2012
- CPI-M's easy win in Tripura bypoll - Jun 15, 2012
- Crucial assembly by-poll in Tripura Tuesday - Jun 11, 2012
- Left will not be ruling any state in 2013, claims Congress - Oct 28, 2010
- Tripura Congress dissidents revolt ahead of civic polls - Nov 18, 2010
- Tripura legislator accused of faking caste certificate - Aug 09, 2012
- PM calls off northeast visit - Jul 17, 2011
- One killed, 41 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 11, 2011
- Tripura Congress, CPI-M trade charges of wooing militants - Jun 27, 2012
- Trinamool won't join hands with Congress for Tripura polls - Jun 17, 2012
- Congress legislators revolt against party chiefs in Tripura, Nagaland - Jan 04, 2010
- Tripura to put all ranks of officials under Lokayukta - Mar 02, 2012
Tags: agartala, aicc, assembly polls, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress chief, congress spokesman, datta, enormous task, factions, general secretary, helm, india congress committee, legislative assembly, New Delhi, politician, state assembly, time legislator, top priority, trivedi