Bangladesh war hero Mir Shawkat Ali deadNovember 21st, 2010 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Nov 21 (IANS) Gen. Mir Shawkat Ali, a Pakistan Army officer who switched sides to fight Bangladesh’s Liberation War in 1971, has died here at the age of 72.
Ali, who died Saturday, was commander of Sector 5 that covered much of the border along Sylhet district in the then East Pakistan during the war. He was given gallantry award Bir Uttam for his valour.
On retiring from the Bangladesh Army in 1981 as a lieutenant general, he joined the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP). He was later the high commissioner to Britain and Australia.
He served as a minister in the government (1991-96) of Begum khaleda Zia. Ali rebelled against Zia and resigned as BNP’s vice chairman in 2007 after denouncing the party’s alliance with Jamaat-e-Islami.
Zia never accepted the resignation, New Age newspaper said Sunday.
- Bangladesh war hero to be buried with military honors on Monday - Nov 21, 2010
- War crimes trial divides Bangladesh opposition - Mar 29, 2011
- Bangladesh's opposition lawmakers may resign from parliament - Nov 20, 2010
- Bangladesh changes rules to detain 1971 war criminals - Nov 02, 2010
- Bangladesh tribunal denies bail to 'war crimes' accused - Apr 21, 2011
- One dead in Bangladesh clash - Jan 30, 2012
- Dhaka Islamists drag India in blame game over 1971 war crimes - Dec 15, 2010
- Dhaka gets tough with Islamists on 40th Victory Day - Dec 16, 2010
- Top BNP leader faces arrest for targeting Hindus - Sep 26, 2010
- Hasina decries opposition's strike call - Nov 28, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition leader faces trial for 'war crime' - Dec 30, 2010
- Arrest warrants against Bangladesh Islamists - Jul 26, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition leader to be arrested for war crimes - Mar 27, 2011
- Bangladesh opposition holds mass rally (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Mujib killers to seek death verdict review - Nov 20, 2009
Tags: army officer, australia, bangladesh nationalist party, begum khaleda zia, dhaka, east pakistan, gallantry, high commissioner, jamaat e islami, khaleda zia, liberation war, lieutenant general, new age, pakistan army, resignation, shawkat ali, uttam, valour, vice chairman, war hero