Bangladesh opposition stages mass hunger strikeMay 21st, 2012 - 4:43 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, May 21 (IANS) An alliance of 18 political parties in Bangladesh Sunday staged a seven-hour mass hunger strike to protest against the government’s “oppressive policies”.
Thousands of political activists, members of various organisations and professional bodies joined the strike at 10 a.m. in Dhaka. Leader of the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) Begum Khaleda Zia also took part, Xinhua reported.
BNP spokesman Nazrul Islam Khan said the opposition alliance is staging the strike to press home its demand for tracing disappeared BNP leader Elias Ali, release of recently detained 33 top opposition leaders and reinstatement of the caretaker government system.
Banners printed with portraits of BNP’s founder Ziaur Rahman and current chairperson Begum Khaleda Zia have been hung around the hunger strike venue near Dhaka’s lush green Ramna park, where a huge contingent of law enforcers have been deployed.
The parliament had abolished the non-party caretaker government system in June last year, which means the Awami League-led government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will stay in power during the next elections scheduled for early 2014.
- Two-day shutdown cripples life in Bangladesh - Jul 06, 2011
- Bangladesh opposition holds mass rally (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- BNP protests court indictment of Ziaur Rahman - Mar 24, 2011
- Dhaka wears deserted look ahead of opposition rally - Mar 12, 2012
- War crimes trial divides Bangladesh opposition - Mar 29, 2011
- Bangladesh's former PM evicted amid protests (Fourth Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Zia firm over strike despite losing apex court appeal (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Opposition steps up stir against Bangladeshi PM - Feb 07, 2011
- Hasina decries opposition's strike call - Nov 28, 2010
- Bangladesh's opposition calls strike June 27 - May 19, 2010
- Don't go on strike, Bangladesh businessmen tell politicians - Nov 25, 2010
- Indian envoy invites Khaleda Zia to meet Manmohan Singh - Sep 05, 2011
- 3,000 arrested in Bangladesh - Mar 10, 2012
- WikiLeaks: India worried over Hasina, Zia - Dec 20, 2010
- Khaleda Zia evicted from home (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: awami league, bangladesh nationalist party, bangladesh nationalist party bnp, begum khaleda zia, caretaker government, chairperson, contingent, elias, government system, hunger strike, khaleda zia, law enforcers, minister sheikh hasina, opposition alliance, opposition leaders, oppressive policies, political activists, professional bodies, reinstatement, xinhua