Bangladesh opposition observes Farakka DayMay 16th, 2011 - 12:30 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, May 16 (IANS) Main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) has revived the observance of ‘Farakka Day’ to commemorate a march it had organised in 1976 to demand that India demolish a dam on river Ganga.
The ‘Long March’ on May 16 that year had been led by Maulana Abdul Hamid Khan Bhashani. It was stopped on the border with India’s West Bengal state.
Bhashani addressed a rally on the border, eight kilometres from Farakka that India built during the Pakistan era.
The rally and the protest was part of the campaign by then military-led government headed by General Ziaur Rahman.
The BNP, which Rahman later founded and is now led by his widow former prime minister Khaleda Zia, Sunday gave the call to commemorate the “Farakka Day”.
Zia is agitating against the Sheikh Hasina government, demanding a mid-term poll.
BNP acting secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir said Farakka Day was “important in the history of our national movement”, reported New Age newspaper.
Farakka Barrage, over the river Ganges located in West Bengal, is roughly 16.5 km from Bangladesh’s western border.
Bangladesh and India have settled the long-dispute over the sharing of Ganga water by signing the Ganga Water Treaty in 1997 that provides Bangladesh the water required during the summer months when the river water flow is low.
- BNP protests court indictment of Ziaur Rahman - Mar 24, 2011
- Bangladesh to rename establishments bearing Ziaur Rahman's name (Lead) - Feb 16, 2010
- War crimes trial divides Bangladesh opposition - Mar 29, 2011
- Zia shifts stance, to take on Hasina without Islamist allies - Feb 20, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition creating anti-India feelings: Minister - Aug 14, 2011
- Zia opposes transit facility to India - Nov 08, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition stages mass hunger strike - May 21, 2012
- Zia firm over strike despite losing apex court appeal (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Opposition strike hits normal life in Dhaka - Dec 04, 2011
- Ziaur Rahman 'passively involved' in Mujib murder: US scribe - Mar 15, 2011
- Farakka barrage to get new sluice gates: Bansal - Mar 03, 2012
- Bangladesh observes Ziaur Rahman's death anniversary - May 30, 2011
- Deals with India top Bangladesh opposition's protest agenda - Sep 09, 2010
- Khaleda Zia to meet Manmohan Singh Wednesday - Sep 06, 2011
- PM assured NCTC only after consultations: Mamata (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: abdul hamid, alamgir, bangladesh nationalist party, bangladesh nationalist party bnp, barrage, former prime minister, hamid khan, khaleda zia, kilometres, new age, observance, river ganga, river ganges, river water, secretary general, sheikh hasina, water flow, water treaty, west bengal state, western border