Bangladesh observes Ziaur Rahman’s death anniversaryMay 30th, 2011 - 12:52 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, May 30 (IANS) Bangladesh is Monday observing the 30th anniversary of the assassination of president Ziaur Rahman, the war of independence hero whose role as the military strongman changed the course of the country.
He emerged on the political scene as the martial law administrator when a military-led coup Aug 15, 1975, led to the assassination of the country’s founding leader and president, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, and the massacre of his family members and some cabinet ministers.
Popularly known as Zia, he was the president of Bangladesh from 1977 to 1981. He was killed in a military coup in the early hours of May 30, 1981.
He was a Pakistan Army major March 25, 1971, when authorities in erstwhile East Pakistan launched a campaign against the winners of the 1970 general election led by Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
Mujib was taken prisoner, but before that, he gave a call for independence and separation from Pakistan.
Zia broadcast the independence declaration on a small radio transmitter and joined the movement.
His widow and former prime minister Khaleda Zia Sunday returned from a tour of the US and Britain. She is currently the leader of the opposition in parliament.
New Age newspaper said she would distribute gifts among the poor to mark his memory.
- Ziaur Rahman 'passively involved' in Mujib murder: US scribe - Mar 15, 2011
- Dhaka court reopens trial, hanging of 1971 war hero - Aug 24, 2010
- US scribe to depose on Dhaka trial he covered 35 years ago - Mar 14, 2011
- 40-year-old controversy over call for Bangladesh independence - Mar 27, 2011
- Bangladesh mourns freedom fighters' killings in 1975 - Nov 03, 2010
- Bangladesh observes formation of provisional government - Apr 17, 2011
- Bangladesh to resume Mujib murder trial - Jul 11, 2009
- Bangladesh remembers 'Mujibnagar' era - Apr 17, 2010
- Foiled Bangladesh coup shows army is pro-democracy: experts - Jan 20, 2012
- Zia blamed for rebel's hanging - Feb 04, 2011
- Mujib planned separation from Pakistan in 1969: Hasina - Mar 08, 2010
- Coup attempt: Hasina says she wants democracy, peace - Jan 20, 2012
- Mujib killers to seek death verdict review - Nov 20, 2009
- Retired Indian Army officer to get Bangladesh award - Jun 25, 2012
- BNP protests court indictment of Ziaur Rahman - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: 30th anniversary, cabinet ministers, death anniversary, erstwhile east pakistan, former prime minister, general election, independence declaration, independence hero, khaleda zia, leader of the opposition, march 25, martial law, military coup, military strongman, mujib, pakistan army, president of bangladesh, sheikh mujibur rahman, small radio transmitter, war of independence