Banda rape: CBI books BSP legislatorSeptember 22nd, 2011 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 22 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has registered a case against an Uttar Pradesh Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) legislator and four other people who gang-raped a minor girl and then jailed her on a theft charge in Banda district, an official said Thursday.
The CBI has registered a criminal case against ruling BSP legislator Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi, the key person accused of holding the minor girl in illegal confinement, raping her and then getting her jailed on a theft charge in Banda district in December last year, the official said.
The CBI started the probe into the case on the direction of the Supreme Court Sep 12.
The apex court shifted the probe from state police to the CBI after the state government said it had no objection to the agency investigating the incident.
The legislator, who represents the ruling party from Banda, 180 km from Lucknow, was arrested Jan 13. His three associates were arrested a day earlier. The fourth accused surrendered before a local court Jan 18.
A lawyer who filed a public suit in the apex court said the girl was allegedly raped by Dwivedi in December 2010. She later spent about a month in jail, over an allegedly false theft case, and was released in January.
Dwivedi had got her arrested December 2010 on charges of stealing his licensed revolver, a mobile phone and Rs.5,000 in cash, the petition said.
Chief Minister Mayawati ordered Dwivedi’s arrest after a preliminary report submitted by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of police confirmed that the teenaged girl was gang-raped.
“As per the preliminary report submitted by the CID, the girl was kept under illegal confinement for four days Dec 8-12, 2010. However, there was no sexual assault on her for the first three days, but on the night of Dec 11 and 12, she was raped twice, not only by the MLA but also by his cohorts,” said a state government official.
- BSP legislator accused of rape arrested (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Apex court notice to Uttar Pradesh on Banda rape - Jan 21, 2011
- Custody of girl raped by BSP legislator extended in theft case - Jan 14, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh girl was raped by legislator, his guards - Jan 11, 2011
- Supreme Court moved on Banda rape - Jan 20, 2011
- Banda rape case: Enquiry ordered into jail warden's claims - Jan 17, 2011
- Congress for judicial probe against rape-accused BSP lawmaker - Jan 02, 2011
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's gang rape - Jan 12, 2011
- Banda rape case: MLA did rape me, says Dalit girl - Jan 14, 2011
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's rape (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Mayawati orders probe into rape allegations against BSP legislator - Jan 02, 2011
- Rape accused legislator claims he is impotent - Jan 04, 2011
- Rape-accused BSP legislator suspended - Jan 02, 2011
- BSP Govt. taking Banda rape case 'very seriously': Mayawati - Jan 20, 2011
- Mayawati orders release of Banda rape victim - Jan 15, 2011
Tags: apex court, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, cohorts, criminal case, criminal investigation department, criminal investigation department cid, government official, illegal confinement, legislator, local court, naresh, preliminary report, ruling party, sexual assault, state police, teenaged girl, theft case, uttar pradesh