Ban website selling sex determination kit: Congress leaderMarch 4th, 2008 - 6:08 pm ICT by admin
Chandigarh, March 4 (IANS) The Congress party’s all-India spokesman Manish Tiwari Tuesday demanded that Punjab and Haryana seek the immediate intervention of the central government to get an American website, which sells gender determination kits, banned in the two states. “The governments in Punjab and Haryana should immediately write to the centre to get the website selling sex determination kits for unborn children blocked. This is playing havoc in both states which already have the worst sex ratios in the country,” Tiwari told journalists here.
Tiwari said people in both states, particularly Punjab, were openly ordering the gender determination kit online and there was a need to block immediately the website.
“Both states have an acute sex ratio. People are buying the kits online and there is its rampant misuse,” he added.
With sex determination tests being banned in both states under the Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PNDT) Act, people who have online access are buying such kits to determine the sex of unborn children.
Punjab and Haryana have a skewed sex ratio of around 800 females per 1,000 males - much lower than the national average of 933 females per 1,000 males. Fathegarh Sahib district in Punjab has one of the lowest sex ratios in the country at just 700 females per 1,000 males.
The sex determination kits are popularly called “jantar mantar” kits - taking from its original name gender mentor.
The Punjab government had, two years ago, proposed a ban on these gender determination kits but there is no stopping of the online sale.
- Though India's worst, Haryana's sex ratio is best in 110 years - Apr 10, 2011
- 'Urgent need to restore gender balance in J&K;' - Jul 22, 2012
- Haryana doctor held for sex determination test - Apr 20, 2011
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- New advisory board on pre-natal tests to meet Wednesday - Apr 19, 2011
- Child sex ratio worst since Independence: Census 2011 - Mar 31, 2011
- Haryana to install chips to monitor ultrasound machines - May 18, 2012
- Only 13 doctors punished under PNDT Act last year - Aug 03, 2011
- Haryana, Punjab girls bag top two spots in civil services - May 05, 2012
- Declining child sex ratio matter of concern: Tirath - Mar 31, 2011
- India's population is 1.21 billion, gender imbalance worsens (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Declining sex ratio attributed to misuse of medical technology - Dec 18, 2011
- Himachal tribal district has best child sex ratio - Apr 01, 2011
- Haryana introduces mother-new born tracking software - Jul 03, 2011
- Punjab orders probe into female foeticide case - Apr 01, 2011
Tags: central government, chandigarh, congress leader, congress party, diagnostic techniques, females, gender determination, governments, havoc, India, journalists, mentor, punjab government, sex determination kit, sex ratio, sex ratios, spokesman, two states, unborn children