Bal Thackeray undergoes heart surgery (Lead)July 7th, 2009 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 7 (IANS) Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray underwent an emergency angioplasty operation at the Lilavati Hospital here Tuesday morning, a party insider said.
The surgery was successful and he has been shifted to the intensive cardiac care unit. He is expected to remain in hospital for the next few days, the party source said requesting anonymity.
The 83-year-old leader was admitted to the hospital Monday evening following breathing problems. He had undergone an angiography to detect possible heart blockages in the early hours Tuesday, the source said.
The Lilavati Hospital has set up a five-member panel to treat Thackeray - Jaleel Parker, who has been regularly treating him; J.J. Dalal, Samuel Mathew, Ajit Menon and Prakash Jindani, who examined the senior leader to determine the course of treatment Monday.
After the angiography in the morning, the medical panel suggested an angioplasty on the aged leader who has been keeping frail health since some time, the source said.
Thackeray’s son Udhav, who is the Sena executive president, has cut short his trip to the US and is expected return to Mumbai later Tuesday.
Thackeray’s estranged nephew and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray, senior party leaders like Manohar Joshi, party MPs, legislators and senior leaders of the ally Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) have been thronging the hospital to inquire after his health.
Thackeray had been admitted to the same hospital June 18 for treating certain respiratory problems, causing concern among family and party members. He was discharged after six days in hospital.
Earlier, in March this year, Thackeray had spent 11 days in Lilavati Hospital for similar health complaints.
- Uddhav Thackeray to undergo angioplasty Friday - Jul 20, 2012
- Bal Thackeray undergoes angiography - Jul 07, 2009
- Uddhav Thackeray in hospital for angioplasty - Jul 20, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray had chest pain since four days - Jul 17, 2012
- Uddhav undergoes angioplasty, is 'absolutely fine' - Jul 20, 2012
- Uddhav visits father in hospital - Jul 28, 2012
- Bal Thackeray hospitalised - Jul 24, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray discharged after angiography (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray to leave hospital Monday - Jul 22, 2012
- Bal Thackeray stable, to be discharged - May 14, 2012
- Sena chief Bal Thackeray discharged after cardiac surgery - Jul 12, 2009
- Gadkari visits Bal Thackeray in hospital - Jul 26, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray discharged from hospital - Jul 23, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray admitted to Lilavati after chest pain - Jul 16, 2012
- Bal Thackeray discharged from hospital - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: ajit, angiography, bal thackeray, cardiac care unit, dalal, executive president, frail health, health complaints, heart blockages, heart surgery, lilavati hospital, manohar joshi, medical panel, member panel, menon, party leaders, party members, party source, respiratory problems, tuesday morning