Bal Thackeray severs ties with nephew Raj ThackerayMay 19th, 2009 - 2:50 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 19 (IANS) In a not too unexpected development, Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray late Monday severed all ties with his nephew Raj Thackeray, who had walked out of the fold three years ago to form the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) that severely dented the Shiv Sena-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) alliance in the state in the general elections.
“Anybody who is an enemy of the Marathis is my enemy,” Bal Thackeray said in a statement.
This was a clear reference to the electoral reverses suffered by the Shiv Sena-BJP alliance as MNS candidates in the fray had eaten into their traditional vote banks.
Reacting to the development, MNS vice president V. Saraswat said since it was an issue between an uncle and his nephew, no one had the right to comment on it.
At the same time, he said the MNS was as concerned about the interests of Marathis as anyone else in the state.
- MNS offers unconditional support to Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI in Thane - Mar 06, 2012
- Tie up with MNS only after Shiv Seva's nod: BJP - Mar 04, 2011
- MNS bags Nashik mayor's post - with BJP support - Mar 15, 2012
- MNS, SP to contest all BMC seats - Jan 09, 2012
- Shiv Sena snubs Munde over remarks on MNS - Feb 07, 2011
- Sena-BJP combine triumph in Mumbai, Thane civic polls, MNS gains (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Now, Raj Thackeray also snubs Gopinath Munde - Feb 16, 2011
- BJP, Shiv Sena meet to sort out differences - Mar 13, 2011
- Raj speaks up for estranged uncle Bal Thackeray - Jun 01, 2011
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Intro Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- Ramdas Athawale's RPI prepares to sup with Shiv Sena, BJP - May 09, 2011
- Politicians encouraging slums for vote banks: Raj Thackeray - Jun 07, 2012
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- Why all parties covet the BMC? - Jan 04, 2012
- Shiv Sena indestructible, says Bal Thackeray - Feb 14, 2012