Bal Thackeray attacks Hazare againOctober 7th, 2011 - 11:39 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 7 (IANS) Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray came up with an angry rejoinder Friday to activist Anna Hazare’s reaction to his Dussehra day comments on the anti-graft movement.
In a sharp statement this evening, the 85-year-old Thackeray warned Hazare to stop behaving in a “childish manner” and not to lock horns with the Shiv Sena.
“Yesterday, I had praised him saying he was doing his work honestly,” Thackeray said. “However, his net had torn and the big fish were escaping, but he should not get discouraged and carry on with his mission.”
At the party’s annual Dassehra rally at Shivaji Park Thursday night, while praising Hazare’s anti-corruption agitation, Thackeray made sarcastic remarks about 35,000 people being fed twice a day during his recent hunger strike in New Delhi and the “lavish hosting of guests and visitors” at the venue.
Retorting to the charges Friday afternoon, Hazare claimed in Ralegan Siddhi that it was because of his hunger strike in the past that three ministers of the former Shiv Sena-Bharatiya Janata Party government had to resign from their posts.
“In view of his advanced age, Bal Thackeray talks anything,” Hazare said. “On three occasions in the past, he had withdrawn his statements against me. I have nothing personal against him.”
Thackeray said Friday that though he was growing old, Hazare at 74 was much junior to him in age. “This childish behaviour does not suit you,” he added.
“We cannot help if somebody has poisoned his ears, but we are not Gandhians and can also reply appropriately, so don’t try to get into ‘trouble’ with us,” Thackeray said.
- Thackeray speaks to Hazare, sends grandson to venue - Aug 26, 2011
- Sack Bhushan in 24 hours, Shiv Sena tells Team Anna - Oct 14, 2011
- Thackeray blasts Team Anna - Nov 07, 2011
- End fast, Thackeray appeals to Hazare - Aug 24, 2011
- Bal Thackeray targets Team Anna, Hazare - Jan 08, 2012
- No-bath protest in Hazare's village - Aug 18, 2011
- Uddhav says Digvijay is mad, never mind what granddad wrote - Sep 06, 2012
- Thackeray's birthday gift - two rallies - Jan 12, 2012
- Hazare fast doesn't scare centre, public anger does: Thackeray - Apr 07, 2011
- Anna Hazare: A fasting activist turns a national icon - Aug 28, 2011
- Anna may end vow of silence Friday, come to Delhi - Nov 03, 2011
- Parallel agitations in Mumbai, Delhi: Hazare - Dec 23, 2011
- Please end fast, Thackeray appeals to Hazare (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Ralegan-Siddhi villagers back Hazare - Jul 29, 2012
- Hazare weak but well, to address rally - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: activist, agitation, anna hazare, bal thackeray, corruption, ears, friday afternoon, horns, hunger strike, janata party, New Delhi, oct 7, party government, rally, rejoinder, sarcastic remarks, shiv sena, shivaji park, siddhi, thursday night