Bail not end of 2G, more accused soon, says BJP (Lead)May 15th, 2012 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) With a special CBI court granting bail to former telecom minister A. Raja in the 2G spectrum case,the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday said this was not the end of the case and hinted that Home Minister P. Chidambaram could be the next accused in the case.
Talking to reporters in the Parliament House complex, BJP spokesperson Syed Shahnawaz Hussain said the “king of 2G” was roaming free.
“The king of 2G is roaming free. This bail is not the end,” he said.
Hussain accused Home Minister P. Chidambaram, who was finance minister at the time of the scam, of involvement too.
“Even the prime minister has said that whatever decisions were taken, they were taken by finance minister and telecom minister (Raja),” he said.
The BJP, which has been alleging Chidambaram’s involvement in the scam, will also seek clarification from government over the home minister’s alleged link with the Aircel-Maxis deal.
“In Rajya Sabha, the finance minister will give clarification, and in Lok Sabha, we have sought a short term debate on the issue,” Hussain said.
A company owned partially by Chidambaram’s son Karthi allegedly was transferred money by Aircel on the eve of clearance by the Foreign Investment Promotion Board to a deal with Maxis in 2006. Chidambaram has however denied his son having any link with the company that was transferred money.
Meanwhile, DMK MP T.K.S. Elangovan welcomed the news of bail to Raja, saying he and his party were happy with this development in the case.
Elangovan also said that Raja will continue to play a key role in the DMK as a party man and office-bearer.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) special court earlier Tuesday granted bail to Raja, who has been in jail for the last 15 months since his arrest in the scandal.
- Will file complaint on Aircel-Marxis deal, Swamy tells court - May 26, 2012
- Raja's release may dilute 2G case: Jayalalithaa - May 15, 2012
- Bail not end of 2G spectrum case: BJP - May 15, 2012
- Aircel-Maxis deal: Government denies wrongdoing (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Government says no wrongdoing in clearing Aircel-Maxis deal (Second Lead) - May 14, 2012
- No equity in any telecom firm: Chidambaram - May 14, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned, BJP cries foul - May 22, 2012
- DMK supporters celebrate Raja's release - May 15, 2012
- No Maran role in Aircel deal, CBI tells apex court (Lead) - Sep 01, 2011
- Maran quits as minister after 2G scam involvement (Second Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- BJP appears keen to go for Chidambaram's jugular - May 11, 2012
- Now opposition guns for Chidambaram, Lok Sabha disrupted - Apr 27, 2012
- DMK workers celebrate Raja's bail - May 15, 2012
- 2G scam: CBI points finger at Maran, seeks more time (Second Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Learn from your mistakes, BJP advises PM - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: 15 months, bharatiya janata party, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, clarification, finance minister, foreign investment promotion board, home minister, hussain, investment promotion board, karthi, key role, Lok Sabha, office bearer, p chidambaram, parliament house, party man, raja, rajya sabha, spokesperson