Badal wants support price of wheat to be hikedApril 7th, 2011 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, April 7 (IANS) Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Thursday sought personal intervention of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to enhance the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for wheat.
Badal said that the existing MSP of Rs.1,120 per quintal was inadequate for farmers and it should be enhanced to at least Rs.1,480.
In a communication to the prime minister Thursday, Badal said the cost input for farming has gone up by many times in recent years while the farmers were getting a meagre hike in the MSP.
He said a hike in the MSP was essential to improve the lot of farming community.
The procurement of wheat in Punjab and Haryana, which together contribute the maximum quantity, to the national kitty every year, started April 1.
However, the procurement will pick up only after the harvesting festival of Baisakhi April 13-14.
- Centre's bonus on wheat unjustified: Badal - Apr 16, 2011
- Badal slams meagre hike in wheat support price - Oct 21, 2010
- Badal terms wheat MSP hike pathetic - Oct 25, 2011
- Pay Rs.1,800 per quintal of wheat: Badal - Oct 24, 2011
- Badal rejects wheat MSP enhancement as 'too meagre' - Nov 05, 2009
- Badal asks PM to relax paddy procurement norms - Oct 24, 2010
- Badal rejects new minimum price for wheat - Oct 08, 2011
- Akali Dal rejects hike in paddy, cotton MSP - Jun 01, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes wheat - May 01, 2012
- Hooda seeks Rs.200 bonus on paddy - Oct 06, 2011
- Badal protests meagre hike in paddy support price - Jun 10, 2010
- Punjab district chiefs to oversee wheat procurement - Apr 09, 2010
- Akali Dal slams insufficient paddy support price hike - Jun 10, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana procure record 200 lakh tonnes of wheat - May 11, 2012
- Minimum support prices for pulses, wheat raised - Oct 20, 2010
Tags: april 1, baisakhi, chief minister, farmers, farming community, haryana, kitty, manmohan, manmohan singh, maximum quantity, minimum support price, msp, personal intervention, price of wheat, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, procurement, rs 1