Badal to visit Milwaukee gurdwara, meet kin of killedAugust 7th, 2012 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 7 (IANS) Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal will visit the Oak Creek gurdwara in Milwaukee during his visit to the US, Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said Tuesday.
The chief minister left for the US Monday night on a previously scheduled visit.
Six people were killed Sunday and several others injured in unprovoked firing by US ex-soldier Wade Michael Page, who attacked their gurdwara in Oak Creek. Page was shot dead by police.
Badal senior was scheduled to visit the Wisconsin area, where the gurdwara is located, to attend the wedding ceremony of his cabinet colleague Surjit Singh Rakhra’s niece. The wedding will take place at another location near the gurdwara where the killings took place.
Condemning the merciless shooting of innocent Sikhs in the US gurdwara, Badal junior, who is also the president of the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal, said that entire humanity stood “shocked and stunned the way Sikhs were targeted in the oldest democracy of world”.
He said the Punjab government has already informed US authorities through diplomatic channels that the chief minister would visit the gurdwara. He will also visit the families of the victims.
Badal will also meet US officials to urge them to curb hate crimes against Sikhs.
- Punjab leaders call for safety of Sikhs in US (Lead, correcting para six) - Aug 06, 2012
- Punjab leaders call for safety of Sikhs in US - Aug 06, 2012
- Punjab to pay for transporting bodies of gurdwara victims - Aug 07, 2012
- Badal hit by human rights lawsuit in US - Aug 09, 2012
- Michelle Obama to meet gurdwara shooting victims' families (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Badal takes over as Punjab CM for fifth time (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Four Indians among 6 killed in gurdwara shooting - Aug 07, 2012
- India reaches out to families hit by US gurdwara shooting - Aug 07, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: Killer a former soldier - Aug 06, 2012
- 16-year-old charged in Wisconsin murder of elderly Sikh - Aug 18, 2012
- 'Their tears would make an ocean overflow' - Aug 08, 2012
- US sleuth links gurdwara shooting with Sikh murders - Aug 18, 2012
- Gurdwara gunman shot himself in head: FBI - Aug 09, 2012
- Relatives find enough place in Badal cabinet - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: authorities, colleague, deputy chief minister, diplomatic channels, hate crimes, killings, milwaukee, monday night, niece, oldest democracy, punjab government, sikhs, soldier, sukhbir singh badal, wedding ceremony, wisconsin area