Badal snubs Sidhu over land for Amritsar airportDecember 18th, 2008 - 11:52 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 18 (IANS) Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Thursday snubbed alliance partner Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) MP Navjot Singh Sidhu for demanding that the government acquire 1,000 acres of land for major expansion plans of the Amritsar international airport.”This government cannot act according to what Navjot Sidhu says,” Badal told reporters in a curt reply to the demand of the MP from Amritsar.
The reaction from Badal came a day after Sidhu submitted a memorandum to him, demanding that 1,000 acres of land be acquired for expansion of the airport.
The airport, which was on a high till early this year with several international and domestic flights from there, is facing troubled times with leading airlines announcing that flights would be stopped.
One major reason for stopping flights is the high cost of operating from the airport - nearly double that at the Delhi airport - and lack of other facilities.
Sidhu’s memorandum about the slow pace of work of the airport’s expansion and terming it as “non-visionary” seemed to have irked Badal to react. But the chief minister said that he held Sidhu, a young politician and former Indian cricketer, in regard.
“The 42 acres of land sought by the Airports Authority of India for the airport’s expansion will be acquired and handed over shortly,” Badal said.
The Akali Dal and the BJP have an alliance government in the state led by Badal.
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- Navjot Sidhu complains against fake Facebook page - Jul 26, 2012
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Punjab MPs demand restoration of direct flights between Amritsar, Canada - Nov 30, 2010
- Record 21 chief parliamentary secretaries in Punjab - Apr 06, 2012
- Akalis, BJP build on new, secular identity (Punjab Newsletter) - Apr 14, 2012
- Mixed response to FDI strike in Punjab, Haryana - Dec 01, 2011
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.200 crore - Jan 12, 2012
- Punjab gets 21 new chief parliamentary secretaries - Apr 10, 2012
- Move to 'save' Amristar international airport from closure - Nov 11, 2008
- Punjab, Haryana floods man made disasters: BJP - Jul 15, 2010
- Congress takes a dig at Sidhu for assaulting guard - Dec 08, 2011
- Punjab to seek PM's help in water dispute - Jun 26, 2010