Bad weather forces Mulayam to skip Azamgarh rallyJanuary 1st, 2012 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 1 (IANS) Inclement weather Sunday prevented Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav from reaching Uttar Pradesh’s Azamgarh town, where he was to address a rally.
While some of his party colleagues reached the town a day earlier, Mulayam Singh could not take off in a chartered aircraft from Lucknow on account of bad weather.
Party general secretary Azam Khan, the party’s Muslim face, was scheduled to fly with him in the plane to Azamgarh, some 270 km from here.
“Day-long rain and poor visibility did not allow the small aircraft to take-off from the Lucknow airport, following which the SP president had to abandon his trip to Azamgarh,” a party source told IANS here.
“Even landing conditions were not favourable in Azamgarh for the same reason,” he added.
Reports from Azamgarh said that the rally organisers did hold the rally, but disappointment was clearly writ large on the faces of the people who had converged at the rally grounds to listen to Mulayam Singh and Azam Khan.
Those who addressed the crowds included Abu Asim Azmi, president of the Maharashtra unit of SP and party MP from Ballia Neeraj Shekhar, who is the son of former prime minister Chandra Shekhar.
Party general secretary Mohan Singh and another leader Ambika Chaudhary, who were present on the occasion, chose not to address the rally.
- 24x7 power for Akhilesh, Mulayam's constituencies - Mar 22, 2012
- Azam refuses to call ceasefire with Bukhari - Apr 10, 2012
- Course correction if Mulayam wishes it: Akhilesh - Aug 01, 2012
- After Azam barb, disquiet in SP out in open (News Analysis) - Jul 26, 2012
- Bukhari calls on Mulayam, seeks more Muslim say in governance - Apr 13, 2012
- At 38, Akhilesh to be UP's youngest chief minister (Second Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Mulayam brings Azam Khan back into fold (Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Miffed Azam Khan offers to quit UP cabinet - Jul 26, 2012
- With ministers like his, Akhilesh needs no enemies (Uttar Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 18, 2012
- Samajwadi Party revokes expulsion of Azam Khan - Nov 03, 2010
- Rape victims will be given government jobs: Mulayam - Jan 29, 2012
- Dimple Yadav to launch second political innings Tuesday - Jun 04, 2012
- Akhilesh is candidate for Legislative Council - Apr 05, 2012
- Cancel my son-in-law's ticket: Bukhari - Apr 06, 2012
- Congress's Muslim card, Ajit Singh's Jat clout on test in Tuesday's poll (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: asim, azam khan, azmi, bad weather, ballia, chandra shekhar, chartered aircraft, crowds, former prime minister, general secretary, inclement weather, long rain, mohan singh, neeraj, party colleagues, party source, poor visibility, small aircraft, weather forces, yadav