Baalu controversy continues to agitate MPsApril 25th, 2008 - 4:31 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 25 (IANS) The uproar over Shipping and Surface Transport Minister T.R. Baalu’s moves to expedite gas allocation to companies owned by his sons continued in both houses of parliament Friday. In the Rajya Sabha, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) forced an adjournment while in the Lok Sabha MPs demanded an inquiry into allegations that Baalu had misused his ministerial position to favour his sons’ companies.
Raising the issue in the Lok Sabha, V.K. Malhotra, deputy leader of the BJP in the house, said the government must conduct an investigation.
Janata Dal-United (JD-U) MP Prabhunath Singh agreed and said: “This (allegation against Baalu) is a major scam and must be investigated.”
Baalu admitted in parliament two days ago that he had put in a word to the petroleum minister and also pushed the Prime Minister’s Office to expedite gas allocation to Kings Chemical and Kings High Power - companies owned by his two sons.
- Parliament deadlock as BJP insists on PM's resignation (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sibal moves motion for JPC in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- 'A democracy must debate, parliament disruptions no option' - Sep 09, 2012
- Parliament adjourned for third day; all-party meeting on Monday (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- Bail not end of 2G, more accused soon, says BJP (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Parliament again disrupted over coal saga (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sibal moves motion for JPC in Rajya Sabha - Mar 01, 2011
- Rajya Sabha names JPC members; business as usual in houses (Intro Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- Political crisis as BJP insists on PM's resignation (Intro Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- 30-member JPC formed to probe 2G scam, telecom policy (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Rajya Sabha passes motion for forming JPC (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2011
- Key bills pile up as BJP stalls parliament - Aug 26, 2012
- Parliament again adjourned, government hopes for breakthrough Monday (Intro Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- SP, JD-U want army chief sacked, BJP says no - Mar 28, 2012
- Parliament returns to disruptions over demands for Chidambaram's ouster (Roundup) - Dec 08, 2011
Tags: adjournment, allegation against, allegations, bharatiya janata party, controversy, deputy leader, favour, houses of parliament, jd, Lok Sabha, ministerial position, mps, New Delhi, parliament, petroleum, prime minister, rajya sabha, surface transport, transport minister, uproar