Azam Khan quits as SP general secretary (Lead)May 17th, 2009 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Rampur (Uttar Pradesh), May 17 (IANS) Disgruntled Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Azam Khan Sunday resigned as the party general secretary as well as parliamentary board member over the SP’s “closeness to communal forces”.
Meanwhile, another general secretary Amar Singh, who has had a running feud with him, said Khan’s error was that he aired his views in public.
Khan, addressing reporters in Rampur a day after film star-turned-politician Jaya Prada, whose party candidature he opposed bitterly, won the Rampur seat, said he had sent the resignations to party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
“The Samajwadi Party leaders’ closeness with communal forces has prompted me to take the step. However, I will continue to work with the Samajwadi Party like any ordinary party worker,” he said.
Khan attributed the party’s poor performance in Uttar Pradesh (23 seats) to Mulayam Singh’s friendship with Kalyan Singh, who was chief minister of Uttar Pradesh during the 1992 Babri Masjid demolition.
In Delhi, Amar Singh said that he “forgave” Azam Khan, with whom he had publicly clashed. Khan had been unhappy with Amar Singh helping the Jaya Prada campaign.
“Azam Khan has done a lot for the party in the past, to build its base, which cannot be forgotten. His main error was to air his views publicly, what he should have done within the party structure,” said Amar Singh.
He added that Azam Khan was like his “elder brother” and that he “forgave him”.
- Rampur stuns Jaya Prada - Mar 06, 2012
- Jaya Prada takes on Azam Khan - Mar 03, 2012
- Unhappy Azam Khan quits as SP general secretary (Second Lead) - May 17, 2009
- Azam Khan quits as SP general secretary - May 17, 2009
- Samajwadi Party revokes expulsion of Azam Khan - Nov 03, 2010
- Amar Singh calls for division of UP to boost development - Nov 04, 2010
- Mulayam ignored warnings on Kalyan, says Azam Khan - Nov 20, 2009
- Jaya Prada criticises Amar Singh's detractors - Jan 31, 2010
- Amar Singh threatens 'If I will open my mouth, Mulayam will be in jail' - Dec 05, 2010
- Azam refuses to call ceasefire with Bukhari - Apr 10, 2012
- 24x7 power for Akhilesh, Mulayam's constituencies - Mar 22, 2012
- I will never leave Mulayam: Amar Singh - May 14, 2009
- Samajwadi Party expels Amar Singh, Jaya Prada - Feb 02, 2010
- Amar Singh to launch new party - Nov 16, 2010
- Jaya Prada backs Amar Singh in Samajwadi row (Lead) - Jan 31, 2010
Tags: amar singh, azam khan, babri, board member, chief minister, closeness, communal forces, day after film, elder brother, general secretary, jaya prada, kalyan singh, mulayam singh, party chief, party leaders, party structure, poor performance, rampur, resignations, uttar pradesh