Azam Khan expelled from Samajwadi Party for 6 yearsMay 24th, 2009 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 24 (IANS) The Samajwadi Party Sunday expelled Azam Khan, one of the party founders and its Muslim face, from its primary membership for “indiscipline and anti-party activities”, party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav said.
The move comes more than a week after Khan himself resigned as general secretary and parliamentary board member.
“Yes, we have expelled Azam Khan from the primary membership for six years for indiscipline and anti-party activities,” Mulayam Singh told IANS.
The SP will hold a formal party level meeting on the issue Monday, he said.
Azam Khan is one of the founders of the party. He was made general secretary when the party was formed in October 1992 and is one of its oldest leaders.
Azam Khan was unhappy ever since Mulayam Singh decided to befriend Kalyan Singh, rebel Bharatiya Janata Party leader who was chief minister when the Babri Masjid was razed in 1992. His discontent grew when actress-turned politician Jaya Prada was given the party ticket for Rampur, and he actively campaigned against her. He exchanged verbal attacks with Amar Singh, another party general secretary, over the issue.
Mulayam Singh, when asked by reporters earlier why he had not tried to mollify Khan, had said: “I have made dozens of attempts to call him, but he does not speak to me.”
- Samajwadi Party revokes expulsion of Azam Khan - Nov 03, 2010
- Azam Khan's expulsion revoked - Nov 03, 2010
- Samajwadi Party expels Azam Khan for six years - May 24, 2009
- SP expels Amar Singh and 'close compatriot' Jaya Prada - Feb 02, 2010
- BJP expels Digvijay Singh's brother - Jul 15, 2010
- Azam-Amar feud: SP expels its founder leader (Lead) - May 24, 2009
- Azam Khan has betrayed Samajwadi Party: Mulayam - May 09, 2009
- Mulayam ignored warnings on Kalyan, says Azam Khan - Nov 20, 2009
- Jaya Prada takes on Azam Khan - Mar 03, 2012
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Samajwadi Party expels Amar Singh, Jaya Prada - Feb 02, 2010
- Rampur stuns Jaya Prada - Mar 06, 2012
- SP's decision to expel Amar Singh will hurt in future: Jaya Bachchan - Feb 02, 2010
- Apex court puts off order on Amar Singh, Jaya Prada plea (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Mulayam brings Azam Khan back into fold (Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
Tags: 6 years, amar singh, azam khan, babri masjid, board member, chief minister, discontent, founders, general secretary, indiscipline, jaya prada, kalyan singh, may 24, party chief, party leader, party ticket, politician, rampur, verbal attacks, yadav