Azad reviews Congress’ poll debacle in OrissaJune 17th, 2009 - 11:28 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 17 (IANS) Senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad Wednesday held discussions with party leaders in Orissa to assess the party’s debacle in the assembly and Lok Sabha elections in the state.
“Azad held meetings with office bearers as well as with the candidates who were fielded by the party in the election,” state Congress spokesperson Kailash Acharya told IANS.
“There was a general consensus among the participants that the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) misused the government machinery in the election and also replaced electronics voting machines in different places to ensure its victory,” he said.
Azad, who is also the union minister for health and family welfare and All India Congress Committee (AICC) general secretary in charge of Orissa, was expected to meet senior party leaders in the state late night, he said.
The Congress won only 27 of the state’s 147 assembly seats and six of the 21 Lok Sabha constituencies. The BJD led by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik bagged 103 assembly and 14 Lok Sabha seats.
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- Congress, BJD trade charges over presidential election - Jul 01, 2012
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- Voting machines 'manipulated' in Orissa polls, claims Azad - Jun 18, 2009
- Naveen Patnaik rules out supporting Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
- BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency - Jun 16, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik is Sangma's proposer for president's poll (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Pranab to campaign in Odisha July 11 - Jul 01, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik sworn in as Orissa Chief MinisterNaveen Patnaik sworn in as Orissa Chief Minister - May 21, 2009
- Pranab hopeful of Mamata's support (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik re-elected BJD chief - Jan 23, 2010
Tags: acharya, aicc, assembly seats, bhubaneswar, bjd, congress leader, family welfare, ghulam nabi azad, government machinery, india congress committee, kailash, lok sabha constituencies, lok sabha elections, lok sabha seats, naveen patnaik, orissa, party leaders, poll debacle, state congress, union minister