Austrian government approves same-sex partnership rightsNovember 17th, 2009 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, Nov 17 (DPA) The Austrian government agreed Tuesday to introduce a form of civil union for same-sex couples, which will grant some, but not all, of the rights enjoyed by married heterosexual couples, Justice Minister Claudia Bandion-Ortner announced.
The so-called registered partnerships are to give homosexual partners rights regarding social security claims, inheritance or court trials.
However, those who register will not be allowed to adopt children, and lesbian couples will not be able to have children through in-vitro fertilisation.
The necessary amendments to several laws are scheduled to pass parliament before the end of the year, so that the new regulations can come into force from the start of 2010.
“We see this as a first step into the future,” said Jona Solomon, a leader of the Vienna-based homosexual advocacy group HOSI Wien.
But she said her group would keep fighting for equal rights, not only in terms of family law, but also when it comes to the way that these partnerships are registered.
Unlike traditional marriages, which involve a ceremony by a civil registrar, gays and lesbians are granted no such right and will simply have their union recorded by local authorities.
Nine European countries have instituted such civil unions, while Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden allow same-sex marriages that are equal to heterosexual ones, according to HOSI Wien.
- UK royals urged to back gay marriages - Apr 25, 2011
- US shifts legal stance on gay marriage - Feb 24, 2011
- Facebook praised for gay relationship status options - Feb 18, 2011
- Hundreds of gay, lesbian couples say "I do" in New York (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Homosexuals to get equal inheritance rights in Germany - Aug 18, 2010
- Vietnam hosts first gay parade - Aug 05, 2012
- British gays to be allowed to wed in churches - Nov 04, 2011
- New York same-sex marriage law gives Aussie advocates hope - Jun 25, 2011
- British gays not interested in marriage law - Jun 08, 2012
- Obama supports gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- Gays may 'marry' in traditional way in Britain - Jul 03, 2010
- Brazil approves conjugal visits for gay inmates - Jul 05, 2011
- Scotland to legalise same-sex marriage - Jul 25, 2012
- Mexican court upholds adoption by gay couples - Aug 17, 2010
- US military chaplains free to perform same-sex marriages - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: advocacy group, austrian government, civil registrar, civil unions, court trials, gays and lesbians, heterosexual couples, homosexual advocacy, homosexual partners, lesbian couples, local authorities, necessary amendments, netherlands norway, ortner, partnership rights, same sex couples, same sex marriages, sex partnership, social security claims, traditional marriages