Attack on Lankan visitors unacceptable, says KarunanidhiSeptember 5th, 2012 - 4:45 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 5 (IANS) DMK President M. Karunanidhi Wednesday said attacking Sri Lankans visiting Tamil Nadu or other parts of India is unacceptable and will affect ties between the two countries.
“At a time when a team from the United Nations is slated to visit Sri Lanka to meet people affected by the internal war and those who have been resettled post war and suggest measures, creating an unnecessary problem here would actually create problems for Tamils there,” Karunanidhi said in a statement.
Urging people of Tamil Nadu to maintain peace, the former chief minister said: “Tamils are not against any race. It is unacceptable to attack Sri Lankans coming to Tamil Nadu or to any part of India for tourism, business or cultural exchange.”
MDMK supporters had Tuesday demonstrated against a group of Sri Lankan tourists in Tamil Nadu.
Buses carrying Lankan tourists were also attacked with stones though nobody was injured.
The tourists, numbering over 180, left for their country Tuesday night from Tiruchirapalli, around 350 km from here.
Karunanidhi said the tourists were attacked after Tamil Nadu government’s orders to send back two Sri Lankan football teams which were in the state to play friendly matches.
“Attacking tourists and sending back sportsmen would affect the long-standing relationship between two nations,” he said.
The DMK chief said training of Sri Lankan defence personnel in India was different and sportsmen travelling to each other’s countries was different.
- 175 Sri Lankan tourists to return following protests (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Do not train Sri Lankans: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Protest against Sri Lankan tourists near Trichy - Sep 04, 2012
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- DMK to submit Tamil meet resolutions to UN: Karunanidhi - Sep 04, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- DMK withdraws from MPs delegation to Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2012
- Karunanidhi takes on Delhi over Sri Lanka - Aug 28, 2012
- India to send back Sri Lanka Air Force personnel - Jul 06, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen's status; Jayalaithaa demands they be sent home (Third Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sri Lankan airmen shifted to Bangalore? Send them home, Jayalalitha demands (Fourth Lead, superseding previous story) - Jul 07, 2012
- Send back Sri Lankan defence personnel: Jayalalithaa - Jul 16, 2012
- AIADMK, DMK want Sri Lankan airmen to go (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Karunanidhi seeks UN solution for Sri Lankan Tamils - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,