Assembly resolution on Rajiv killers not binding: KhurshidAugust 30th, 2011 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 30 (IANS) The resolution passed by the Tamil Nadu assembly asking President Pratibha Patil to review the mercy petitions of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi’s killers was not binding, Law Minister Salman Khurshid said Tuesday.
“The state government resolution is not binding on anyone,” Khurshid told reporters outside parliament house here.
He was referring to the unanimous resolution passed by the Tamil Nadu assembly urging the president to review the mercy pleas of Murugan alias Sriharan, T. Suthendraraja alias Santhan and A.G. Perarivalan alias Arivu and also to commute their death sentence to life imprisonment.
The resolution coincided with the Madras High Court staying for eight weeks the hanging of the three men, all linked to the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) and sentenced for their involvement in Gandhi’s 1991 assassination.
The execution was to take place on Sep 9.
Khurshid said he cannot interfere with the court decision.
“I cannot interfere with any high court decision. I am only here cognizant of what the decision of the president was. That is all I know,” he said.
“High courts and the Supreme Court can take their own view. I cannot comment on any view they have taken particularly till the view becomes final. It is an interim order which they have passed and I am sure the government will respond to it,” Khurshid added.
On Aug 11, President Patil had rejected the mercy petition of the three accused.
A woman suicide bomber Dhanu blew herself up killing Gandhi, who was prime minister of India from 1984 to 1989, at an election rally in Sriperumbudur near Chennai May 21, 1991.
- Rajiv killers' pleas adjourned till Nov 29 - Oct 28, 2011
- Rajiv killers' pleas adjourned till Jan 31 - Nov 29, 2011
- Celebrations in Tamil Nadu as Rajiv killers' hanging stayed - Aug 30, 2011
- Respect the law: Congress on Rajiv killers - Aug 30, 2011
- Rajiv assassination: Kin of other victims fast for speedy hanging - Sep 09, 2011
- Court pleas, threats, protests to save Rajiv's killers (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- Hanging of Rajiv killers stayed, Tamil Nadu assembly backs them - Aug 30, 2011
- Release Rajiv Gandhi killers, appeals Karunanidhi - Oct 06, 2011
- Spare my son, don't hang him, pleads father - Aug 29, 2011
- 1,000 Youth Congress activists to fast against Tamil Nadu assembly resolution - Sep 05, 2011
- Rajiv killer Nalini's 'A' class prison facilities restored - Mar 15, 2012
- Rajiv killers move high court; Karunanidhi backs plea (Night Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- Rajiv Gandhi killing convict couple meet in Vellore jail - Sep 10, 2011
- President rejects mercy petition of Gandhi killers - Aug 11, 2011
- Jethmalani's defence of Rajiv killers not party line: BJP - Aug 29, 2011
Tags: assembly resolution, binding law, election rally, former prime minister, government resolution, high courts, law minister, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, life imprisonment, madras high court, mercy petition, mercy petitions, prime minister of india, rajiv gandhi, rajiv killers, sriperumbudur, tamil nadu, unanimous resolution, woman suicide bomber