Assam governor calls for peaceJanuary 26th, 2012 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Jan 26 (IANS) Assam Governor Janki Ballav Patnaik Thursday called for enduring peace in the state as thousands of people defied rebel threats to take part in Republic Day celebrations.
Despite a boycott call by 12 militant groups from the northeast, men, women and children defied the diktat and came out in large numbers to join the official functions here and other towns.
Patnaik hoisted the tricolour at the Veterinary College playground here to mark India’s 63rd Republic Day.
Addressing the gathering, the governor lauded the efforts of the central and Assam governments to bring lasting peace in the state.
The function was attended by Chief Minister Tarun Gogi, his ministers and senior police personnel.
Flag hoisting ceremonies were also held at many places all over the state, including subdivision and district headquarters.
Most educational institutions and government establishments hoisted the national flag in their premises to mark the occasion.
Militant groups including the anti-talk faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) led by Paresh Baruah called for a boycott of the Republic Day celebrations.
- Celebration and introspection... India goes tricolour on 63rd R-Day (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2012
- Northeast defies militant boycott calls on R-Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Assam ups security after ULFA's R-Day boycott call - Jan 23, 2012
- Bomb scare hits Republic Day event - Jan 26, 2012
- Northeast defies I-Day boycott call - Aug 15, 2011
- Odisha celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Northeast ignores rebels' R-Day boycott call (Second Lead, With Images) - Jan 26, 2010
- Peaceniks counter ULFA with volleyball - Apr 06, 2012
- Republic Day celebrated peacefully in Orissa (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- ULFA faction opposes Sonia's Assam visit, calls for shutdown - May 22, 2012
- India celebrates 62nd R'Day, military might on show (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2011
- No dearth of talent in northeast India: Tripura governor - Jan 26, 2011
- Bihar celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Northeast defies rebels' R-Day boycott call (Lead) - Jan 26, 2010
- Low key I-Day celebrations in Maharashtra - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: assam, baruah, boycott, chief minister, diktat, district headquarters, educational institutions, faction, government establishments, janki, large numbers, lasting peace, militant groups, national flag, republic day, tarun, tricolour, ulfa, united liberation front, veterinary college