Assam Congress lawmaker assaulted for converting to IslamJune 30th, 2012 - 4:49 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, June 30 (IANS) A woman Congress legislator from Assam was thrashed by a mob at a hotel in Karimganj town late Friday night after she converted to Islam and married a Muslim friend, police said Saturday.
Rumi Nath and her husband Jacky Jakir, who were badly injured, were being shifted to the Guwahati Medical College and Hospital Saturday for treatment, police said.
Sources close to the legislator said she was pregnant.
Nath, who had won the Borkhola assembly seat in Assam’s Barak Valley on a BJP ticket in 2006, had defected later and joined the Congress. She contested the 2011 assembly elections on a Congress ticket and retained the seat.
She married her friend and long time family acquaintance Jacky Jakir, a Muslim by faith, last month and it angered most of her supporters. She also converted to Islam before the marriage. She, however, did not divorce her first husband, Rakesh Kumar Singh and left the daughter from her first marriage in her parents’ house.
After she revealed her second marriage, some of her supporters and social organisations in the Barak Valley warned her not to enter the area. The MLA had been out of the state with her second husband since then.
“The couple came to Karimganj last evening and were staying for the night at the Hotel Nakshatra. Angry residents somehow came to about the presence of Rumi Nath and her second husband and physically assaulted the duo. Although she had body guards and police reached the spot immediately, it became difficult to control the huge mob,” Karimganj Superintendent of Police Pradip Pujari told IANS.
“While we were able to rescue both of them, they have been seriously injured. Both the MLA and her husband Jacky Jakir are being shifted to Guwahati for better treatment Saturday morning,” Pujari said.
“The situation has been contained as of now but we are keeping a close vigil so that it does not take any religious angle. Investigation is also on to find out the culprits involved in the incident on Friday night,” he said.
- Hundreds out in Guwahati demanding punishment for molesters - Jul 15, 2012
- Assam molestation: Channel editor says he'll quit (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- AIUDF protests over July 9 molestation, lawlessness - Jul 18, 2012
- Sonia pulls up AGP, lauds Gogoi Govt. for Assam's development - Apr 01, 2011
- Seven killed in Meghalaya accident - Jun 17, 2011
- Villagers lynch two men in Tripura - Mar 25, 2012
- Assam floods: Death toll reaches 100, 16 missing - Jul 05, 2012
- 65-70 percent polling recorded in Assam - Apr 04, 2011
- Huge cache of explosives recovered in Assam - Nov 28, 2010
- Wedding wows! 120-year-old man marries 60-year-old - Oct 28, 2011
- Assam legislator arrested for role in ethnic violence - Aug 23, 2012
- Blast kills one in Assam ahead of Sonia's visit - May 26, 2012
- Passenger train derails in Assam, no casualties - Oct 27, 2010
- Rabindra dance marathon lands her in Guinness book - Apr 26, 2012
- Seven killed in Meghalaya accident (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: angry residents, assam, assembly elections, assembly seat, barak valley, converting to islam, family acquaintance, guwahati, jacky, lawmaker, legislator, medical college, muslim friend, nath, pradip, pujari, rumi, second marriage, social organisations, time family