Assad regime on verge of collapse: Syrian ex-PMAugust 15th, 2012 - 6:54 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has lost control of two-thirds of the country and is on the verge of collapse, former Syrian prime minister Riyad Hijab has said.
“I assure you, from my experience and former position, that the regime is collapsing, spiritually and financially, as it escalates militarily. It no longer controls more than 30 percent of Syrian territory,” Hijab was quoted as saying by the BBC.
Calling on top officials to defect “for the good of the people”, Hijab, who himself fled Damascus with his family, said in Jordan capital Amman that the Syrian armed forces needed to “take the side of the people”.
The Syrian conflict has claimed between 14,000 and 20,000 lives since March 2011, according to estimates by various opposition groups and the UN.
Saying he was “powerless to stop the injustice”, Hijab urged the army to “follow the example of Egypt and Tunisia’s armies and take the side of people”.
- Syrian state TV station bombed in Damascus, PM fired - Aug 06, 2012
- Assad appoints former health minister as PM - Aug 09, 2012
- France urges new Syria sanctions - Jun 14, 2012
- Syrian vice president defects: Rebels - Aug 18, 2012
- Syria's Assad unveils new government - Jun 23, 2012
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- Syrian PM's defection shows isolation of Assad: Italy - Aug 06, 2012
- Syrian defence minister killed in Damascus bombing - Jul 18, 2012
- Obama warns Syria against using chemical weapons - Jul 24, 2012
- Russian airline to shut flights to Damascus - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia not considering sheltering Syrian president - Mar 08, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Syria situation remains serious: UN chief - May 26, 2012
- Prepare to take power: Germany, Italy tell Syrian opposition - Aug 30, 2012
- US says it is trying to force Assad to step down - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: armed forces, bashar al assad, bbc, capital amman, collapse, damascus, estimates, hijab, injustice, moscow, opposition groups, president bashar, prime minister, regime, ria novosti, riyad, syrian president bashar al, syrian territory, two thirds, verge