Assad must go: EU foreign ministersSeptember 9th, 2012 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Nicosia (Cyprus), Sep 9 (IANS) Foreign ministers of countries in the European Union (EU), who met for a two-day meeting in Cyprus, demanded the resignation of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Xinhua reported.
“The message out of the discussions at the informal meeting of the European foreign ministers in connection with the crisis in Syria is that President Assad must go,” EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton was quoted as saying.
Ashton said the EU will offer its support to the UN’s new envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi in his efforts to find a peaceful solution.
“He (Brahimi) must reach a political solution so as to end the violence in Syria,” Ashton said.
She said more sanctions may be imposed on the Syrian regime to force its resignation.
The EU will cooperate with forces opposing Assad so as to help the Syrian people “take their fortunes into their own hands”, Xinhua quoted Ashton as saying.
She said the EU was gravely worried about the humanitarian crisis resulting from the fighting and announced that it will offer new help worth 50 million euros ($63 million) for the relief of displaced people.
“We are greatly concerned about people who sought refuge in Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey and efforts are under way to help Syria’s neighbors,” Ashton said.
Ashton also said several foreign ministers raised the issue of the Iranian nuclear programme at the meeting and suggested that more sanctions should be imposed on Tehran.
“We appeal to Iran to enter into discussions with us on its nuclear programme. We want to make sure that its nuclear programme is of a peaceful nature,” Ashton said.
- Syria awaits next step's details from UN: deputy FM - Aug 24, 2012
- France urges new Syria sanctions - Jun 14, 2012
- EU tightens sanctions on Syria - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence - Jul 11, 2012
- EU to slap new sanctions on Syria - Jul 20, 2012
- Syrian president ready for honest effort to solve crisis - Mar 11, 2012
- Russia calls for political dialogue in Syria - Aug 25, 2012
- Iran stresses support to Syria - Aug 27, 2012
- China terms its criticism by Clinton over Syria unacceptable - Jul 08, 2012
- UN chief reiterates full support for new Syria envoy - Aug 25, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Russia to push Syria peace plan at UNSC - Sep 09, 2012
- India, US discuss Syria, Iran - Aug 22, 2012
- UNSC draft on Syria sends unbalanced signal: Russia - Feb 05, 2012
Tags: 50 million, ashton, bashar al assad, countries in the european union, foreign ministers, foreign policy, fortunes, humanitarian crisis, lakhdar brahimi, peaceful nature, peaceful solution, policy chief, political solution, president assad, president bashar, resignation, sanctions, syrian president bashar al, syrian regime, xinhua