Assad appoints former health minister as PMAugust 9th, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 9 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Embattled Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has appointed former health minister Wael al-Halqi to the post of prime minister.
Halqi was appointed following the defection of the previous prime minister earlier in the week, Al Arabiya news agency reported.
Former prime minister Riyad Hijab surfaced with his family in Jordan, saying he had defected from the Assad regime in Damascus and joined the opposition.
Before he appeared in Jordan, Syrian state television reported that Hijab was sacked from his post without specifying the reason why.
Halqi, born in 1964, replaced acting premier Omar Ghalawanji, who was appointed as the caretaker after Hijab’s defection.
The new prime minister comes from Syria’s southern province of Deraa, where the 17-month-old popular uprising against Assad’s rule began.
Halki graduated from Damascus University’s faculty of medicine in 1987. He is married and has four children.
- Syrian state TV station bombed in Damascus, PM fired - Aug 06, 2012
- Assad regime on verge of collapse: Syrian ex-PM - Aug 15, 2012
- Syrian vice president defects: Rebels - Aug 18, 2012
- Syrian PM joins rebels, flees to Jordan: Reports (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Syria's Assad unveils new government - Jun 23, 2012
- Syrian PM's defection shows isolation of Assad: Italy - Aug 06, 2012
- Syrian TV denies intelligence chief's murder - Aug 27, 2012
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- Assad orders formation of new government - Jun 06, 2012
- France urges new Syria sanctions - Jun 14, 2012
- Russian airline to shut flights to Damascus - Jul 23, 2012
- Syrian envoy rejects $1 mn for defection - Aug 12, 2012
- Assad's sister flees Syria : Report - Sep 19, 2012
- Prepare to take power: Germany, Italy tell Syrian opposition - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: al arabiya, al arabiya news, bashar al assad, caretaker, damascus university, defection, dg, faculty of medicine, former health, former prime minister, health minister, new prime minister, news agency, president bashar, ria novosti, southern province, state television, syrian president bashar al, uprising, wael