Ashok Singhal charged with violating poll conductApril 9th, 2009 - 1:55 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 9 (IANS) The Vishwa Hindu Parishad’s (VHP) international president Ashok Singhal has been charged with violating the model code of conduct for holding a meeting in Uttar Pradesh’s Gorakhpur district without permission from the local administration.
“For defying the model code of conduct we have prepared a report against Singhal and have today (Thursday) submitted it to the returning officer,” city magistrate R.S. Gupta told IANS over phone.
Singhal had presided over the meeting on April 5 at a school in Gorakhpur, about 270 km from here.
“Singhal neither informed us about the meeting nor took the necessary permission from district authorities for organising it,” said Gupta.
The meeting was in violation of the order under Indian Penal Code’s Section 144 (unlawful assembly) clamped in the district in the run-up to the Lok Sabha polls, he added.
A police complaint may also be registered after getting the district magistrate’s approval.
- Advani rakes up Ram temple issue - Sep 09, 2012
- Media reports on Aseemanand are lies: Singhal - Jan 09, 2011
- Sonia creating Hindu terror bogey: Singhal - Jan 07, 2011
- VHP meet in Goa to discuss 'saffron terror' - Dec 17, 2010
- Pranab Mukherjee accused of poll code violation - Apr 13, 2011
- VHP denounces crackdown on Ramdev - Jun 05, 2011
- Bihar minister charged with violating poll code - Sep 16, 2010
- 'SP compromising national security by appeasing Muslims' - Apr 05, 2012
- VHP files case over JNU beef festival - Sep 13, 2012
- Sanatan Sanstha not invited to top VHP event - Dec 17, 2010
- Narasimha Rao had key role in Ayodhya temple construction: Singhal - Aug 11, 2010
- VHP seers meet in Ayodhya to decide on road ahead - Oct 20, 2010
- Parliament must empower Ram temple construction: VHP - Jan 09, 2011
- Groups threaten to start Amarnath Yatra June 3 - May 19, 2012
- Hindu terrorism phrase coined by vested interests: VHP - Dec 17, 2010
Tags: ashok, code of conduct, district authorities, district magistrate, gorakhpur district, indian penal code, international president, local administration, lok sabha polls, model code, necessary permission, organising, police complaint, poll, returning officer, s gupta, unlawful assembly, uttar pradesh, vhp, vishwa hindu parishad