Ashok Gehlot sworn in as Rajasthan chief ministerDecember 13th, 2008 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Dec 13 (IANS) Congress leader Ashok Gehlot was Saturday sworn in as the chief minister of Rajasthan at the Raj Bhavan here. Governor S.K. Singh administered the oath of office and secrecy to Gehlot at a gathering that included former chief ministers Vasundhare Raje and Bhairon Singh Shekhawat of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Congress activists cheered Gehlot and shouted slogans hailing him and party president Sonia Gandhi as he waved to them after taking oath.
This is the second time 57-year-old Gehlot is becoming the chief minister.
He earlier held the post from 1998 to 2003.
“We are happy that after five years our chief minister has come back. We are sure we are going to see a transparent and sensitive government under Gehlot’s leadership,” said M.K. Mathur, a Congress member.
Gehlot is seen as the main architect of the Congress comeback in the state. The Congress wrested power from the BJP in assembly elections, winning 96 seats in the 200-member house.
- Gehlot becomes Rajasthan chief minister, to form ministry next week (Lead) - Dec 13, 2008
- BJP gives Karnataka third chief minister in four years (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- BJP gives Karnataka third chief minister in four years (Second lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Mamata meets Bengal governor after taking oath - May 20, 2011
- Mamata inducts five Congress ministers - Jun 03, 2011
- Bhairon Singh Shekhawat cremated with full state honours (Lead) - May 16, 2010
- Tight security for Mamata's swearing-in - May 19, 2011
- Ashok Gehlot sworn-in as Rajasthan CM - Dec 13, 2008
- Nabam Tuki sworn in as Arunachal Pradesh CM - Nov 01, 2011
- Shettar stakes claim to form government - Jul 11, 2012
- Mamata takes over Bengal reins, walks history road (Roundup) - May 20, 2011
- Rajya Sabha adjourned till Tuesday - Jul 26, 2010
- Jostling for cabinet berths in Mumbai ahead of swearing-in - Nov 11, 2010
- Parrikar inducts six new ministers in Goa - Apr 08, 2012
- Badal takes over as Punjab CM for fifth time (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2012