ASEAN supports change in LibyaSeptember 6th, 2011 - 7:33 am ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Sep 6 (IANS/AKI) The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) has said it supports the ongoing democratic processes unfolding in Libya, spearheaded by the rebel National Transitional Council.
The 10-member Jakarta-based ASEAN said Monday in a statement that it gave its “support for the ongoing efforts involving the National Transitional Council to promote reconciliation and build a democratic and stable Libya”.
The ASEAN, however, added that such efforts must be “in accordance with the aspirations and wishes of the Libyan people”.
“Throughout the crisis, ASEAN member countries have consistently underscored the urgent need to protect and ensure the safety and security of civilians in Libya,” it said.
The political process must enable Libyans to determine their own future and that the international community must help in achieving this goal, it said.
“The international community, including the UN, must help create conditions conducive for the protection of civilians in Libya and the commencement of the said political process,” it added.
- Obama urges Libya to start reconciliation process - Oct 24, 2011
- Gaddafi representatives in talks with France - Jul 11, 2011
- UN Security Council eases Libya sanctions - Sep 17, 2011
- UN chief urges political solution to Libyan crisis - Aug 11, 2011
- UN to help rebel-led NTC build Libya's future: Ban - Sep 02, 2011
- Vatican recognises Libya's NTC - Oct 22, 2011
- Britain to continue its support to Libya: Cameron - Sep 06, 2011
- Libyan rebels involved in war crimes: Amnesty - Sep 14, 2011
- Rebels offer $1.3 mn bounty for Gaddafi - Aug 25, 2011
- India calls for national reconciliation in Libya - Nov 03, 2011
- Bangladesh recognises NTC as Libya's interim authority - Oct 14, 2011
- Libya mission to last weeks, not months: France - Mar 24, 2011
- Force not the only way of protecting civilians in conflicts: India (Lead) - Nov 10, 2011
- UN Security Council imposes sanctions, refers Libya to the International Criminal Court - Feb 27, 2011
- UN calls urgent meeting on Libya - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,