Arun Gawli arrested for extortionApril 21st, 2008 - 11:03 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, April 21 (IANS) Gangster-turned-politician Arun Gawli was arrested Monday afternoon by Mumbai Police for his alleged involvement in an extortion case. The arrest was made after the crime branch of Mumbai Police gathered sufficient evidence against him for allegedly extorting money from a city builder, Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Rakesh Maria told IANS.
Gawli, a legislator, represents his party Akhil Bharatiya Sena.
Last month, Gawli’s brother Vijay Ahir, 35, was arrested for attempting to extort Rs.2.5 million from a builder whose real estate project is coming up in central Mumbai.
Along with Ahir, the crime branch has also arrested two other Gawli supporters, who have been identified as Dinesh Narkar, 23, and Sudhir Ghorpade, 40.
- Arun Gawli, 11 others get life for corporator's murder (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2012
- Arun Gawli, 11 others get life for corporator's murder (Intro Roundup) - Aug 31, 2012
- Arun Gawli: The don is finally nailed - Aug 31, 2012
- Mafia don Arun Gawli gets bail in extortion case - Jul 02, 2010
- Don-turned-legislator booked under stringent law - Apr 29, 2008
- Arun Gawli's party to contest 25 seats in BMC polls - Jan 26, 2012
- J. Dey murder: Special public prosecutor appointed - Jan 11, 2012
- Arun Gawli, 11 others convicted for Sena leader's murder - Aug 24, 2012
- Arun Gawli, 11 others get life for corporator's murder (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Palande, three others charge-sheeted in Tikku murder case - Jul 06, 2012
- Mafia dons humbled at the ballot - Oct 22, 2009
- Arun Gawli to contest LS polls from North Central Mumbai - Mar 27, 2009
- Rebels, relatives in fray for BMC elections - Jan 31, 2012
- Supreme Court rejects Arun Gawli's bail plea (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- Police remand for former Chhota Rajan aide - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: 5 million, ahir, brother, central mumbai, city builder, commissioner of police, crime branch, extortion, gangster, legislator, monday afternoon, money, police crime, politician, rakesh, real estate project, sudhir