Arrested DMK leaders, cadres released (Lead)July 5th, 2012 - 5:34 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 4 (IANS) Several prominent DMK leaders, including M.K. Stalin, T.R. Baalu, Dayanidhi Maran and Rajya Sabha member Kanimozhi, along with several thousand of party cadres were let out free Wednesday evening after being arrested in the morning during party’s state-wide “fill the jails” protest.
The DMK staged the protest opposing the arrests of its former ministers and party members allegedly under false charges. The party is also opposing the “anti-people” policies of the ruling AIADMK government in the state.
In a statement Chief Minister J.Jayalalithaa said: “In order to divert the people attention that the action is taken against the DMK men on complaints given by common man, the agitation was held.”
She said the DMK party leadership had ordered members not to apply for bail if arrested and jailed.
“As it would be a useless exercise for the government and police to arrest the protestors, I have ordered the release of all the people arrested during this agitation,” Jayalalithaa said.
The DMK has claimed that a total of 232,797 members were arrested for staging the agitation across the state.
Speaking to reporters DMK president M. Karunanidhi said that he had expected around 100,000 arrests, but the final tally was unexpected.
“I consider the agitation as a grand victory,” he said.
According to him, the agitation could also be considered as a self assessment measure to know the party’s strength.
- Protesting DMK leaders arrested in Tamil Nadu - Jul 04, 2012
- DMK's Baalu to attend UPA second anniversary - May 22, 2011
- Testing times ahead for DMK, say analysts - May 20, 2011
- Relieved Karunanidhi speaks to Kanimozhi - Nov 28, 2011
- Karunanidh to visit Delhi Monday, Baalu to attend UPA anniversary (Third Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Only Baalu from DMK at UPA dinner (Lead) - May 22, 2011
- 50,000 to take part in fill the jails protest: Karunanidhi - Jul 04, 2012
- Karunanidhi meets Kanimozhi, Raja, Sharad Kumar in Tihar (Second Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Only Baalu from DMK at UPA dinner (Second Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Tamil Nadu shelves revival of upper house - Jun 07, 2011
- DMK silent on cabinet representation, alliance (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Tamil Nadu shelves revival of upper house (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- DMK to take legal action in 2G spectrum case - Apr 27, 2011
- Karunanidhi reaches Tihar Jail to meet Kanimozhi (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Karunanidhi in Delhi, to meet Kanimozhi in jail - May 23, 2011
Tags: agitation, chief minister, common man, dayanidhi maran, dmk party, false charges, grand victory, j jayalalithaa, jails, july 4, m karunanidhi, party leadership, party members, protestors, rajya sabha member, self assessment, several thousand, stalin, tally, wednesday evening