Arrest US Navy personnel who killed Indian: CPI-MJuly 18th, 2012 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 18 (IANS) The CPI-M Wednesday criticized the government for not squarely condemning the US Navy for killing an Indian fisherman, and demanded the arrest of the killers.
“The premeditated killing of an Indian fisherman and injuries to three others due to firing by a US naval ship within UAE waters is highly condemnable and reprehensible,” the Communist Party of India-Marxist said.
“It is shocking that the UPA government has not squarely condemned the incident and the external affairs minister has merely termed it as ‘unfortunate’,” it said in a statement.
“This lukewarm attitude stems from the fact that India is engaged in military collaboration with the US and the same US Navy which fired on the Indian fishermen is constantly engaged in joint naval exercises with the Indian Navy.
“The country expects the Indian government to demand that the US naval personnel who committed this murder be arrested and put on trial.
“This is the stand which was taken in the case of the Italian naval personnel who shot and killed two Indian fishermen off the coast of Kerala.”
- Get compensation to families of Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Get compensation to families of Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jul 17, 2012
- Time to frame rules to protect our fisherfolk (Comment) - Jul 23, 2012
- Awaiting envoy's report on Indian fisherman's killing: Krishna - Jul 19, 2012
- Krishna says UAE probing Indian fisherman's killing - Jul 17, 2012
- Fisherman killing: India seeks transparent probe from US - Aug 09, 2012
- India plans action over fisherman killing by US warship (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Fisherman's death: India protests killing, Sri Lanka denies incident (Roundup) - Jan 13, 2011
- US assures India of probe into fisherman's killing - Jul 20, 2012
- US ship didn't warn Indian fishermen: Dubai police chief - Jul 19, 2012
- Fishermen killings: Rao to convey India's concerns to Sri Lanka - Jan 28, 2011
- India plans action over fisherman killing by US warship (Second Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- India for probe into US deadly attack on fishermen off Dubai (Roundup) - Jul 17, 2012
- BJP slams 'casual attitude' of Central Government towards fishermen deaths - Jan 30, 2011
- Congress activists protest killing of Indian fishermen - Apr 18, 2011
Tags: attitude, collaboration, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, external affairs minister, fisherman, indian fishermen, indian government, indian navy, killers, naval exercises, naval personnel, naval ship, New Delhi, premeditated, us navy