Arrest Raj Thackeray under NSA: PaswanOctober 31st, 2008 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 31 (IANS) Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) chief Ram Vilas Paswan Friday demanded that Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray should be arrested for planning attacks on north Indians.“My first demand is that Raj Thackeray should be arrested under NSA (National Security Act),” the union steel minister told reporters.
He cited the case of MDMK chief Vaiko’s arrest in Tamil Nadu for his statements in favour of Sri Lanka’s Tamil Tigers. “Vaiko was arrested for his statements. Raj Thackeray should be similarly arrested.”
LJP is a constituent of the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
Mumbai has seen a spurt in violence against non-Maharashtrians, especially people from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
A youth from Bihar was killed a fortnight ago when MNS activists disrupted a railway recruitment examination in Mumbai. Earlier this week, suspected MNS activists lynched a labourer from Uttar Pradesh on a train.
Paswan also demanded a judicial probe into the episodes by a sitting High Court judge.
“We met the prime minister and he assured us support. He had called the Maharashtra chief minister (Vilasrao Deshmukh) and worte to him a strongly worded letter. The impact of this was that the students movement in Bihar (against MNS) halted,” Paswan said.
He said the Chhat Puja was like any other festival in India. “There should be no politics around Chhat.” Chhat Puja is primarily a festival of people from Bihar.
Paswan said Raj Thackeray was getting freed on bail despite the cases filed against him.
“I want to know why he was not handed over to the Jharkhand Police who were waiting with a non-balaible warrant against Raj Thackeray. I want to know what is the secret (behind this move)?”
The non-bailable warrant was issued against Raj Thackeray by a Jamshedpur court.
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- Delhi court issues summons against Raj Thackeray - Aug 30, 2012
- Raj Thackeray publicity-hungry: Nitish Kumar - Sep 02, 2012
- Raj Thackeray says he isn't opposed to Chhat Puja - Oct 31, 2008
- Hold Chhat Puja but don't politicise it, says Raj Thackeray (Lead) - Oct 31, 2008
- Rahul Gandhi ill-informed: Raj Thackeray retorts to speech - Nov 14, 2011
- Raj Thackeray drops protest against Bihar Day event - Apr 13, 2012
- Uddhav again demands permit system for Bihari migrants - Sep 04, 2012
- Lalu slams Nitish for 'bowing' before Raj Thackeray - Apr 16, 2012
- Thakerays are 'infiltrators' in Maharashtra from Bihar: Lalu Prasad - Sep 09, 2012
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- Raj Thackeray again attacks north Indian migrants - Jul 18, 2011
- Attack on Azmi condemned by Bihar politicians - Nov 09, 2009
- Congress activists protest against MP CM's anti-Bihar remark - Nov 08, 2009