Army ex-chief joins Anna bandwagonAugust 3rd, 2012 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 3 (IANS) Former Indian Army chief Gen. V.K. Singh Friday lent his voice to Anna Hazare’s anti-graft movement and also joined the protest at Jantar Mantar here where the fasting social activists ended their hunger strike.
Expressing his strong support to Hazare and his movement against corruption, Gen. Singh, who had blown the lid off the Tatra army trucks bribe offer while still in office, also warned Hazare to be prepared to face opposition from anti-democratic forces.
Supporting Hazare and his team members coming out with a political alternative, Singh said: “Team Anna must be prepared to face opposition from those who do not believe in democracy.”
He also said Hazare had taken the right call by calling off the fast.
Terming corruption as the most important problem faced by the country, Singh said: “The next change should come in politics, as the country is now directionless.”
“Team Anna has to clean up the political system,” he said, speaking in Hindi.
Singh also sat with the fasting Team Anna members for some time to express solidarity with the cause.
Congratulating Team Anna for fighting against corruption, Singh said he supported their decision to provide a political alternative to the people.
Hazare and his team members Thursday announced that they will call off their fast Friday.
Arvind Kejriwal, Gopal Rai and Manish Sisodia began their fast July 25 and were joined by Hazare July 29.
–Indo-Asian News Service
- Hazare, team end fast; promise people's movement as political alternative (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Team Anna ends fast, spells out political alternative (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Team Anna to end fast in V.K. Singh's presence - Aug 03, 2012
- Our fight is for changing system, not power: Team Anna (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Team Anna calls off fast, to form 'political alternative' (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Team Anna ends fast - Aug 03, 2012
- Premature to form political party: Manish Sisodia - Aug 03, 2012
- Prominent citizens appeal to Team Anna to call off fast (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Team Anna to end fast Friday - Aug 02, 2012
- End fast, citizens appeal to Team Anna - Aug 02, 2012
- Team Anna to call off fast Friday, proposes 'political alternative' - Aug 02, 2012
- Police battle anti-graft protesters outside PM's house, Hazare for second freedom movement (Intro Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- Hegde opposes Hazare move to float political party - Aug 03, 2012
- Team Anna supporters protest outside BJP office - Aug 02, 2012
- Hazare begins fast, demands passage of Jan Lokpal bill (Evening Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
Tags: anna hazare, army chief, army trucks, arvind kejriwal, asian news, bandwagon, bribe, corruption, democratic forces, gopal rai, hunger strike, indian army, indo, manish, mantar, ncb, New Delhi, social activists, solidarity, vd