Arjun Singh breaks silence on Bhopal gas tragedyAugust 11th, 2010 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) Breaking his silence over the Bhopal gas tragedy, senior Congress leader and then Madhya Pradesh chief minister Arjun Singh Wednesday said he had personally ordered the arrest of Union Carbide chief Warren Anderson.
“I personally briefed the officers (about) the decision to arrest Anderson,” Singh said while participating in a discussion on the Bhopal gas tragedy in the Rajya Sabha.
He said he had also given the orders in writing to the officials.
Arjun Singh said the then prime minister Rajiv Gandhi was on tour when he initially telephoned the Prime Minister’s Office.
He said he had offered to step down as chief minister when Gandhi visited Bhopal Dec 6, 1984.
“But Rajivji turned down the offer. He said providing relief to the affected should be the priority,” Arjun Singh said.
- Arjun Singh gives Rajiv Gandhi clean chit on Bhopal (Lead) - Aug 11, 2010
- Rajiv Gandhi didn't intervene to help Anderson, says Arjun Singh - Aug 11, 2010
- Supreme Court reopens Bhopal Gas Tragedy case - Aug 31, 2010
- Bhopal Gas Tragedy: Arjun Singh claims he ordered arrest of Anderson - Aug 11, 2010
- Bhopal tragedy: Pranab defends Arjun Singh's decision to release Anderson - Jun 13, 2010
- Political establishment has let down Bhopal victims: Chidambaram (Second Lead) - Aug 13, 2010
- Why was Anderson released? Arjun Singh's book tells all - Jul 03, 2012
- Opposition should have raised Bhopal issue in 2001: Chidambaram (Lead) - Aug 12, 2010
- 'No locus standi' on Anderson's release: Arjun Singh - Jun 19, 2010
- Pradhan denies role in Anderson's release after Bhopal tragedy - Jul 05, 2012
- BJP seeks Congress apology for Anderson safe passage - Jun 19, 2010
- Rajiv Gandhi responsible for Anderson escape: Sushma Swaraj - Jun 19, 2010
- Have evidence on Congress facilitating Anderson release: BJP (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Congress denies role in Anderson leaving India - Jun 11, 2010
- Arjun Singh maintains silence on Anderson issue - Jun 11, 2010